Has the drought affected duck populations?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just wondering if anyone has heard of the drought has affected duck populations and/or nesting? Thinking locally but I think a lot of Canada has been dry too?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do they do any annual assessment similar to the pheasant roadside count? I know saw a couple sloughs that had a ton of ducks on it, but don’t have any reference on what a regular year looks like.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do they do any annual assessment similar to the pheasant roadside count?

I don’t think they do a statewide/regional count like they do for pheasants. But I know that there is a North American population assessment done annually by the US Fish & Wildlife. I don’t think they did one in 2020 because of the pandemic and they haven’t released the one for 2021 yet. Its quite long, 78 pages. Obviously a continental assessment may not be much help in terms of local duck populations, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/surveys-and-data/Population-status/Waterfowl/WaterfowlPopulationStatusReport19.pdf

lindyrig79

Dang. That DU article was from back in early June. Carryover from the dry winter I guess. Not good news for duck hunting this fall, but we’ll see.

blank

Delta Waterfowl had a quick conditions report video last week. Not a great outlook for the prairies, but it is what it is.

lindyrig79

Thanks for posting. Kinda what I was afraid of, not good. Just hope it’s wet next winter/spring to fill back up those potholes.

snelson223
    Austin MN

In South Central MN the duck population seems way down.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Unfortunately, if you see water levels are lower at any given wetlands, it’s pretty much a given that critters can easily access nesting sites. Earlier this spring I saw many small groups of goslings. Instead of 7 to 12, I was seeing 3 to 5.

The other side of the equation is the growing population of critters. With such low $$$$ for pelts, I’m seeing more coon, possum, skunks then ever before

Jensen

Earlier this spring I saw many small groups of goslings. Instead of 7 to 12, I was seeing 3 to 5.

X2 in most areas I’ve scouted was 2 to 5 Gosling’s.

Musky Ed

What drought? We had almost 5″ of rain total two weeks ago, and last week’s rain gage total was 5 3/4″. Grass was so long when I got back home the other week, I had to put the bagger on our zero turn, and we have over 3 acres to cut. My son lives just south of Milwaukee, and their yards are totally burned out and dormant.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

rain total two weeks ago,

Wrong time frame to compare to. Breeding and nesting was months ago. Up until a few weeks ago, we were almost 10” behind on rain

This pond by me usually has 4 to 5 nesting geese. This year nearly non existent. Critters got them all. This pic was today, normal water height is about 2” below metal frame

Attachments:
    1. FB28E76A-3893-43D6-88A6-913FFD95913A.jpeg

tornadochaser

Fall flight numbers will be down. No way around that. I’d actually prefer 1 more year of drought after this one to ensure good vegetation takes root where water levels have dropped. That way if the water does return, there’s ample improvement in water quality, food availability, and bug/invertebrate habitat for the ducks. Also, I’d much rather throw huge silhouette spreads out on sandbars and mudflats rather than hike floaters into waist deep water. waytogo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.