Glove box key on boat

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have a key for the glove box on my boat. But I would like a duplicate. So far I’ve tried Ace Hardware and Home Depot and neither can make the key. I just tried looking up some locksmiths but they are mostly remote and helping unlock your car, etc. I just want a simple key made, any ideas of where to go???

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Call any dealer that sell your brand of boat. They should have spare keys.

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Curious why the hardware store could not help. You might need to find somewhere with a old machine and a guy who knows how it works. I have never even locked mine.

stout93
    Becker MN

Had the same problem. Old guy at Runnings making keys all his life and couldn’t make a duplicate for my pontoon.

There should be a number on the key.

I ended up googling the key number and ordering it online. It may have even been through Amazon. Got the key and it worked.

deertracker

I know for my topper, they only make a handful of key styles/cuts. I’m guessing the same for your boat? The number on the key should be all you should need to find it online.
    DT

lindyrig79

Thanks guys! Very helpful.

Jon- thank you. I did call Frankie’s a Ranger dealer and they do have a key. They want $25 for it though shock

Looked online to see if I could find it cheaper. I found lots of Southco keys for cheaper, but not my number. Guess I’m lucky! rotflol

Anyway, glad to have it figured out. Thanks again!

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Most of the time for this style of key, it not because the cannot make the key, it is because they do not stock the style of blanks that needs cut. Very few people are asking for copies of that style key, so they do not have the proper blanks. I know I lucked out at my local small town hardware store and got a copy of a key for a fire proof lock box made. The owner told me they had gotten a new machine in 1993 to cut keys and it came with several styles of blanks and I was the first one to bring in a key that matched that blank. They still have 9 of them hanging there.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just an FYI for those in the St Cloud area… Mimbach Fleet has lots of odd blanks in stock. waytogo

Gitchi Gummi

So you can just call up a Ranger dealer and get a glovebox key for any Ranger boat? Seems like a great opportunity for thieves

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So you can just call up a Ranger dealer and get a glovebox key for any Ranger boat? Seems like a great opportunity for thieves

Many locks are they same way.

lindyrig79

You’d have to know the specific number

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.