Gear report/Update from a recent trip

• acarroline

Just got back from my first long weekend on the ice in NE SD. I always appreciate the feedback I get on my questions from this group and want to reciprocate by sharing some feedback on items I used. Maybe it will help someone or at the very least generate conversation.

1. Rippin Raps: I’ve never caught a fish on these. My son used one in pink and it was the only thing the fish aggressively went after, outfished me 2 to 1 on day 2 with this lure. Guess I’ll keep trying )

2. Pinhead Minnow: One of my top lures for perch/walleye. Continues to consistently produce fish. May be a confidence bait but it has been good last year and so far this year.

3. TUCR Deadstick w/Ceymar Baitfeeder: For my deadstick in the shack this combo continues to work really well for me. Fish don’t feel the tension, audible clicker alerts me, rod tip shows the minnow working and gets to backbone quickly.

4. JT Gold Digger: My favorite ML walleye/perch stick now. Had it last year, thought it was a little stiff. Then when working baits with fish it seems to have the great sensitivity. One of those sticks that fishes better than it feels out of water, for me.

5. Thermal Shack: Coming form a guy whose been in a non-thermal Clam explorer for 10+ years I finally upgraded and bought a thermal Yukon XL. The heat retention and sliding chairs were awesome, and fitting in a normal truck bed under tonneau cover is great. Our temps were cold (!!) and windy (Feel like temps -20’s) and we ran a buddy heater on low all weekend.

6. Backpack Cooler for batteries: I bought a $25 backpack cooler that fits 2 drill batteries, 2 headlamps, a battery back (for lights, see #7), 2 marcum panners, marcum recon, & aqua view micro revolution. Put one of those handwarmer packs in it each day and everything stayed decently warm…and somewhat organized.

7. Hawg Outdoors USB Powered light bar kit: Plenty of light for my shack, love the USB part as I can run it off of many things for power. Used 20% of a 40,000mah power bank over the weekend.

8. Marcum Recon 5: Used this for over 10 hours on one charge. My Aqua view maybe lasts 3-4 hours on a charge…and it has been sent in and had a battery warranty replaced…no change.

9. Blackfish Arid Gloves: Warm for their size, good dexterity, didn’t put the “waterproof” to a great test but were handled what I did with them well.

10. Dorsal skin hooking minnows for deadstick: Jason Mitchell tip (where I saw it, not saying he created it), just pierce the skin on on side of dorsal and out the same side, kept minnows alive longer and they were active. Like the hook towards the head part of the tip as fish tend to attack the head area it seems.

11. Only negatives would be not having more time to fish, the consistent extreme cold/wind, and forgetting my tackle bag :(. Good thing I make sure my son has plenty of tackle :).

MX1825

Great report!
    At least you remembered your rods!

Gregg Gunter

Good info, I agree with the Blackfish gloves. The wool inside makes all the difference for me.

acarroline

Mx1825: Yes, agreed. I brought 15 rods and my son 9. Otter 48 deep case each and 2B rod cases. Pick our 4 each that go in 2b cases to bring in the shack and then 3 in a fenwick bag for finikky foolers/jawjackers.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Great review! How was the fishing? How thick was the ice? South Dakota is on my bucket list for ice fishing. Plenty of hidden gems over there. Some day I’ll make the trip to see for myself.

acarroline

Marendt: Fishing was fine. Got out for evening bite friday and the 2 of us caught about 30 walleye from 10-16 inches, most all in the 5-7pm time. The next day a few walleye/perch in am and again about 30 fish from 4-6pm, 10-16 inch for walleye and perch from 6-10. We kept enough for a meal. A lot of water to fish there, a real hidden gem. Ice was 12-18 inches. Heard of some thinner but not where we were. A lot of truck and permy traffic.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

What kind of backpack cooler?
    Sounds like a great idea

acarroline

Bullcans: I chose this guy:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1936.png

acarroline

Adding to my original #5… I ordered a second front spreader bar today. With my son and I each using the front hole for deadsticks I wanted a bar to place in front of each hole to keep the fabric off the rods when the wind is whipping. We use Cold snap rod holders on the poles to hold the deadstick w/baitfeeder up and out of the way. I like to put that hole in the front corner to give my jigging and camera holes as much room as possible. I would imagine this being a great upgrade in the XT models and others that have the straight vertical front wall.

5. Thermal Shack: Coming form a guy whose been in a non-thermal Clam explorer for 10+ years I finally upgraded and bought a thermal Yukon XL. The heat retention and sliding chairs were awesome, and fitting in a normal truck bed under tonneau cover is great. Our temps were cold (!!) and windy (Feel like temps -20’s) and we ran a buddy heater on low all weekend.

Charles

Funny I always using a pink rippin rap that was doing great!

Coletrain27

I picked up a jt gold digger a couple years ago and I really like that rod. I prefer it over my tuned up precision rod.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I picked up a jt gold digger a couple years ago and I really like that rod. I prefer it over my tuned up precision rod.

That jt rod is awesome as well as my panhandler. Both are my go to rods.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

That jt rod is awesome as well as my panhandler. Both are my go to rods.

do you know anything about the JT shiver sticks? sounds like a nice perch/walleye rod but ive never handled one in person.

acarroline

I have many rods that I try, keep, sell…likely too many :). Love the JT Panhandler w/spring bobber tip for UL/L use, have a new shiver stick in the 44 length for truck fishing/hole hopping that I haven’t used yet bet feels great. I mentioned the Gold digger, I also have the TUCR Precision and need to use it a bit more to give it a fair judgement. Picked up a TUCR Quick tip and used it a bit this past weekend, nice stick. Have the JT Rogue but haven’t tried it yet…not a huge fan of noodle rods but I’ll reserve judgment until used. For my type of fishing I’ve kind of thought a panhandler, shiver stick, gold digger, and deadstick would cover all of my needs…but what fun is only 4 rods !?!?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have many rods that I try, keep, sell…likely too many :). Love the JT Panhandler w/spring bobber tip for UL/L use, have a new shiver stick in the 44 length for truck fishing/hole hopping that I haven’t used yet bet feels great. I mentioned the Gold digger, I also have the TUCR Precision and need to use it a bit more to give it a fair judgement. Picked up a TUCR Quick tip and used it a bit this past weekend, nice stick. Have the JT Rogue but haven’t tried it yet…not a huge fan of noodle rods but I’ll reserve judgment until used. For my type of fishing I’ve kind of thought a panhandler, shiver stick, gold digger, and deadstick would cover all of my needs…but what fun is only 4 rods !?!?

I am a close second but those are the only jt rods I have and I really like them. Glad you had a good trip.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

do you know anything about the JT shiver sticks? sounds like a nice perch/walleye rod but ive never handled one in person.
    [/quote]

I have not even held one but I would like to. My go to perch walleye rod is definitely the perch sweetheart from thorne bros

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Im a fan of the TUCR Deadstick rod as well. I use it when it’s next to me and have caught a wide variety of different size fish on it from small crappies to descent size northerns. Even with the small crappies you could tell there was a fish on and as you mentioned, can see the minnow action on the tip. I have yet to hold a JT rod, might have too. I do like the TUCR precision as well, solid rod.

tim hurley

Great post-this post will cost me at least a 100 bucks maybe more! Like the backpack cooler idea.

Deuces

Backpack cooler works great for summer too. Has been my go to for couple years. Light, portbale, side pockets are perfect for granola bars, bug/sun spray, etc.

Not the best ice retention but works and beats the heck out of lugging around a rotomolded thing everywhere.

Got mine at dicks, think it was around 70 bucks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.