Ice on the Big V.

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Most of the lake went under the ice in the last couple days. Big Bay is still open, as I’m sure some of the other big open water areas are. All the smaller bays are covered from shore to shore and there is ice for about 200 yards out in Big Bay.

“Ace”

guideman

The weather is about to make a big change up here in the great white north. Lows in the single digits to
    low teens, should start making some
    serious ice over the weekend.

If that trend continues it won’t be long before we can venture out on the ice. It’s time to get that ice gear ready for another season.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

“Ace”

guideman

It’s been very cold up here on the range the last few days. The ice conditions are improving as I write this report. Big bay has about 5″ of ice with varing quality. I found some areas with standing water and slush however, it’s getting better with each day of cold weather. The back bays are in better shape than the mainlake, with reports of as much as 8′ of good ice. Keep in mind that it’s still early, please use common sense when venturing out on the ice. It’s a long winter and those walleyes will still be there in a few days.

“Ace”

guideman

Ice conditions are excellent with a good hard surface over 13 inches of good solid ice. The action has been very good for walleyes and perch in the last few days.

There are many people driving on in the McKinley park area. Snow cover is just a few inches, so travel is very easy even without 4wd. I have not talked to anyone fishing the west end yet so I don’t know what’s going on over there however, I’m sure that conditions are similar.

“Ace”

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Hi Terry, we are coming up for Christmas with the relatives…..Enough ice to spend some QT on the lake?

guideman

Hi Yellowjacket,
    We have about 16 inches of good ice right now. You should have about 2 feet by the time that Christmas comes around. We have been driving on it for about a week and the ice is in great shape.

“Ace”

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Sounds great, maybe I’ll send an email before I come, and you can point me to a bay. We generally fish Stuntz and McKinley through the ice

D

guideman

The fishing has picked up recently for walleyes and perch. I moved my shack into shallower water over the weekend and it paid off. I’m now in 18ft over a sand bar that’s full of red worms and the walleyes are on the worms like white on rice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.