Using Sunscreen While Fishing

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

I bought a box of 100 disposable exam gloves…about $8.60,
    you can find them at most Thrifty or Fleet stores.

Same thing in my boat. Although I don’t think the smells make a ton of difference…I don’t take chances. Before I had the gloves in my boat I once tricked a buddy into putting it on the tops of my knees. I told him my hands would break out if I touched the stuff. I was willing to have a man rub my legs if it meant me catching more walleyes

Jeez guys! it was only the knees!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I ‘m with Joe… I don’t give smells on my hands a second thought. Gas, sunscreen, bug spray… I just have never found it matters and seemingly I still find a way to catch a fish or two.

Shoot! I was gonna blame sunscreen for MikeW oufishing me most of the time. I use it and he usually doesn’t. But now you weigh in with “doesn’t matter”. Thanks a lot James!
    (sunburn guy emoticon)

dd

I know a pair of successful river tournament anglers that jockey for the chance to be the guy to pump gas the morning before tournaments so they can intentionally get gas on their hands. These two guys feel STRONGLY that it has a positive effect on catch rates.

So there you go. Irrefutable proof… that fisherman spend a lot of time worrying about “stuff” when boat control & presentation put fish in the boat.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

Couldn’t have been said better

Chris

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I fry without sunscreen and have been using bullfrog spray for three years now. We were in Hawaii in January, I was at my whitest, and by spraying well with the bullfrog right out of the shower in the morning I needed nothing else all day long in shorts or trunks, in and out of the water.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I would be willing to bet that most of the don’t get stinky stuff on your hands while walleye fishing guys are guys who fish bait and fish slow. That I think a person could make a pretty good argument for. I typically don’t fish all that slow, except in cool/cold water periods (and during those periods I’m usually not stinking my hands up with stuff) and I typically don’t use bait….. Possibly another reason Mike outfishes me.

dd

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Not sure about the sunscreen but I can assure you that a lil Rum on your drinking hand will not cause a problem….until it comes time to load the boat

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

My boat is spray on and the FW applies it.

Dog house bud you might as well get cable in there. she will never let you live it down.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If there’s two people, one person applies product, the other person will have to do the baiting.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

when i was guiding michigan i was involved in a video project that tested lure “smell” as per chumming on blue water.

we found that while chumming only had a limited improvement, we did see flare from ‘stinky’ lures. we mostly tested sunscreen and gas smells. definitely bad from what i saw.

i started putting a baking soda slurry bucket in the boat to use prior to putting out lures or bait. we also started carrying a ‘chum bucket’ for dipping prior to laying line.

haven’t seen it on walleyes, but anything that uses it’s nose to feed would seem to learn ‘man smell’…

sorry about the GF and the dog house. i X2 the cable…

hanson

The sunscreen thing has never been an issue IMO.

However, I was fishing as a Co-Angler in the FLW Leech Lake Tour event last summer and I pulled out my sunscreen in the morning. My Pro politely stated, “Like hell are you getting that **** on your hands in my boat.” Lets just say I was a bit shocked!

So he wouldn’t let me use it and I fried myself bad that day. I guess I understand my role as a Co-Angler and that is to listen to the pro, so I did. And I paid for it bad that night.

Thankfully I found some Aloe Gel at the grocery store and some spray on sunblock. The spray on is Neutrogena 70spf or something like that and it has been awesome sunblock!

So now when I get in the pro boats, I lather up with sunblock in the hotel room. I also bring my spray on with as well as a bottle of Lindy No-Scent soap.

Its crazy how different people have different opinions on this but it seams like the guys who are struggling will make a big deal out of anything. Gotta cast the blame somewhere.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Have I ever mention the benefits of WD-40?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

My Pro politely stated, “Like hell are you getting that **** on your hands in my boat.” Lets just say I was a bit shocked!

It didn’t occur to you to tell him to “Suck it!”. I guess you said you were shocked. Me personally, a fish isn’t worth pain and suffering. Let alone possible poor health.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I knew a tournament angler and guide that used both WD-40 and Preperation H to scent his baits. If you want some really good relief from a bad burn put noxema in afrig or cooler till its COLD and apply

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Save the spray for your hairy over weight fishing buddies. Cute girl friends where made for rub on suntan lotion. Why would you ever spray?

I dont like spray on lotions or bug spray in the boat because they get all over the place.

At least you can tell her family that you never touched her.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.