Evinrude Motor Issues

• liljac
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Everyone, I have an older style evinrude on the boat that I have redone, Just took er out for the first time to test it out.

Motor Started up great and seemed to be running fine. All the sudden she started to bog down, felt like there was nothing there, it was struggling to go at even low speeds, just felt like it wasn’t getting fuel. After driving around for a bit all the sudden she seemed to run good again but the throttle was very touchy, got it up on plane and after a bit same thing bogged down.

Not really sure whats going on, Could it be a seal in the gas tank? I just bought a brand new hose and the ball seems to be staying primmed. I did notice that pulling the choke out a bit seemed to help it at lower speeds but still no where near 100%.

Its Difficult for me to explain as I really have no 2 stroke experience so I’ll try to answer your questions the best i can but any advice or insight would be helpful.

Images of the motor

deertracker

The carb might need to be cleaned. Either take it apart or try running some Sea-Foam through it.
    DT

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Make sure the fuel pick up tube in the tank is good, my Merc acted like that once and thats what I found to be my issue.

I know replace mine every season ,just because it is easy for me and cheap maintenance.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I’d say do a carb kit and make sure you get the jets. Sometimes they get gummed up. You can also de-carb the motor by doing a gallon of mixed gas and a full can of seafoam. It will smoke like crazy, but it will get lots of that gunk out.

Is this new fuel mixed correctly? Sometimes old gas can be an issue. Also, dumb question, but did you open the vent on the gas can? I have forgotten that more than once.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

x2 on the sea foam.
    I always put 4 oz in every 5 gallons I mix. You already have the measuring cup if you mix your own. Keeps everything running clean and smooth.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I had the same type of thing going on last year and I had an air leak in my fuel line. I tightened up all hose clamps and replaced my primer bulb and the issues seemed to disappear.

Good Luck

thebigd25
    st. paul

I agree with 85lund, it sounds like an air leak. If it runs better with the choke on, you are sucking air somewhere. Old gaskets and hoses dry out. Those plastic hose clamps they use on the fuel lines relax after time as well.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the help guys, seemed it was an air leak, I took a bit of hose off of each end and put new hose clams on, tightened it up and she was golden. I am also going to run some seafoam through it to make sure its cleaned out. Thanks again! I’ll have pictures up of the whole rebuild soon!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.