Aerator & Bilge Pump not working

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Had my boat out last week a 1997 Lund 1650 Angler and discovered that my aerator & bilge pump are not working, I have not had time to mess with it yet so just looking for suggestions on where to start. The pump is only a couple years old, the fist thing I will check are the fuses, all the other accessories that are hooked up to that battery work fine.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

It probably froze over night..When the weather warms, give them another try……..”Hairjig”

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

A rubber band from a bag of minnows can and will fry the pump if it gets stuck. Does it hum at all.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

1.) Take them apart and see if they are stuck because of something inside. Dirt, weeds, sinkers, line, etc.
    2.) They may not be getting power – fuse, wiring, etc.
    3.) Sometimes you can “tap” them gently to get them unjammed. The draw very little power and sometimes need a jump to get them spinning again

Dog

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

When checking items individually.. Yes, check fuse. You can also open the pumps connector and use a voltmeter to see if you are getting power to it. If your getting power to the connector yet stll no output, you can connect the pump strait to the battery using a jumper wire to verify if it turns on. If it’s a cartridge type of filter then and it turns on then look for debris or foreign objects inside the housing.

timmy

First thing I would check is the ground bar. If you have corrosion there, clean it and you’ll be good. I have had that same exact problem and it was a corroded stud on the ground bar – which is located in the transom area on my boat and grounds both bilges and areator pumps. Very easy fix – at least check it out before diving in and tearing stuff apart.

redneck
    Rosemount

If the motors are humming and you are getting no output then the little plastic impeller has spun on the shaft. Our Explorer eats impellers on a regular basis. Any chunk of weed or stick that gets in there will jam the impeller and then it spins on the shaft. Find the right marine dealer and they can order just the impeller. The last batch I bought were about 3 bucks a piece. You just pop the motor out of the bracket and pop off the old impeller and push on the new one. NOTE: for the livewell make sure you are either out of the water or going at speed to change it.

slayer1
    white bear lake,mn

all of the above is good advice, verify that you have power to the pumps and that all the connections are clean and tight, if both pumps are not working then i would check the source of power before taking the pumps out, i’ve had the same problems on my 97 pro v

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

all of the above is good advice, verify that you have power to the pumps and that all the connections are clean and tight, if both pumps are not working then i would check the source of power before taking the pumps out, i’ve had the same problems on my 97 pro v

Don’t forget mice
    A couple chomps on the wire insulation could also be your problem…
    good luck
    cheers

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Or just give a call and I will pop over and check it out for you 507-696-6722

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Or just give a call and I will pop over and check it out for you 507-696-6722

In-DepthOutdoors at it’s finest, people helping people

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.