the nobel peace prize

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

was awarded to President Obama. I am not strating anything or looking for bashing or supporting posts. Just posting the info I saw.

Broncs

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

saw that too and I will keep my comments to myself

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Congratulations! The world if all about perception. If this means the world sees our leader as peaceful, all the more better.

-J.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

My thoughts exactly

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Do they give it to the person who tries to cure polio, or the person who does it?

Do they give it to the person who writes great literature, or the person who says they are going to write something?

Since when does Nobel, and to a greater extent our society, reward effort or talk over actual acheivement.

Nobel has been a joke after giving a Peace Prize to algore for producing a “documentary” full of lies and bad science.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have to agree I was shocked to hear this announcement. Where are the results? If lasting peace was facilitated or … or … or … not just talked about I would see the merit in the award.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

I dont know if he necessarily deserved the Nobel Prize but at least he is making an effort to improve our image and relationships around the world.

“Obama’s election and foreign policy moves caused a dramatic improvement in the image of the U.S. around the world. A 25-nation poll of 27,000 people released in July by the Pew Global Attitudes Project found double-digit boosts to the percentage of people viewing the U.S. favorably in countries around the world. That indicator had plunged across the world under President George W. Bush.”

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I think the last guy set the peace bar pretty low. I think it says the world is less afraid we will nuke them or something along those lines.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I dont know if he necessarily deserved the Nobel Prize but at least he is making an effort to improve our image and relationships around the world.

“Obama’s election and foreign policy moves caused a dramatic improvement in the image of the U.S. around the world. A 25-nation poll of 27,000 people released in July by the Pew Global Attitudes Project found double-digit boosts to the percentage of people viewing the U.S. favorably in countries around the world. That indicator had plunged across the world under President George W. Bush.”

Oh yeah, we are winning a popularity contest! I wish they would ask those same people what exactly he has done to change their view about America. Maybe it is his smile? The world was in love with him before he was elected. I’d like to think the award required some tangible event or action they could point to, but lets face it, the prize means nothing anymore.

It’s a nice quote, but double digit boost is a pretty relative and general term.

List of Winners. Does he fit? Maybe it was a slow year for peace.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Oh yeah, we are winning a popularity contest! I wish they would ask those same people what exactly he has done to change their view about America. Maybe it is his smile? The world was in love with him before he was elected. I’d like to think the award required some tangible event or action they could point to, but lets face it, the prize means nothing anymore.

Hey in this day and age popularity is half the battle. Why do you think every news station seems to have a presidents popularity poll every week.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The Today Show said it was the first time someone got the award for something they “Might do” regarding peace as opposed to what they’ve already done.

Anyway…congrats!

In an ironic twist…did anyone see the SNL skit last weekend about him?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

After watching Monday night football, I was convinced it was going to be Brett Favre of the Atlanta Falcons

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

A couple quotes, and not from Republicans…

Quote:

Yet Hisham Qasim, Egyptian democracy and human rights activist, said he was “shocked” Obama won.

“He has achieved nothing. He’s stumbling. He hasn’t achieved any of his promises and nothing is working. He promised to close Guantanamo and now that’s not going to happen, and the Arab-Israeli conflict looks like it’s going to get very nasty.”

Quote:

Gideon Rachman, a foreign affairs columnist for The Financial Times, wrote an online blog under the headline “What did Obama do to win the Nobel Peace Prize?”

“While it is OK to give school children prizes for ‘effort’ — my kids get them all the time — I think international statesmen should probably be held to a higher standard,” he wrote.

This one is just some person on Twitter, but makes a good point.

Quote:

the prize should have gone to a person such as Zimbabwe’s Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai because “he stood up to a murderous dictator.”

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’m working on a cold fusion reactor in my basement.

Please give me my Nobel prize!!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

So if he fails in his peaceful efforts will they take the Nobel prize back??

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I guess I will regard the Nobel Peace Prize in the same category as the United Nations. Totally irrelvant. Maybe its payback for not getting the Olympics.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

There are some interesting views out there. I firmly agree with some articles that say he should decline it and say that he has yet to accomplish these things. This could improve how Americans are viewed by the world, ie not arrogant.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Hey in this day and age popularity is half the battle. Why do you think every news station seems to have a presidents popularity poll every week.

Because polls are like something else every one else has. You know the old saying.

I don’t know what this obsession with being loved by the world is all about. Most of it stems from the perception we are the world leader. The day they love us is the day the US is no longer a world power. And they hate us, yet who does everyone turn to first when they need help?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I rarely get really fired up about these types of things, but this one has me hot. The guy he beat out spent his own time and money and raised money so he could phsyically (with his own two hands) build schools for girls in some of the Middle East countries that wouldn’t allow girls to go to school.

Educating these girls, helped detract them from joining terrorist groups. But I guess that’s not as good as throwing the words “Hope” and “Change” around. I truely feel bad for somebody who’s been dedicating their life for 20 years to an actual worth while cause being humiliated because somebody else has two buzz words.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

27k out of 6 Billion, that seems legit. We’re not trying to win a popularity contest with wars, we are removing thugs. Bush = wrong place at the wrong time

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Maybe he will have his pal Bill Ayers at the acceptance party.

bailey99

So,
    When we send 40,000 more troops to occupy Afghanistan.
    When we send troops into Pakistan to occupy that country.
    When things heat back up in Iraq in the next 6 months and more soldiers die.
    When Iran and Israel actually go head-to-head, and we are there throwing troops and weapons to Israel.
    When the next terror attack is not thwarted and we retaliate against Sudan…..

Will he be considered “peaceful” then?
    Will he forfeit his prize?

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

To my knowledge, he needed to be nominated for this within 10 days of taking office as President, I guess the noble prize committee thought the world would be saved him by now I guess….

Maybe next year they will give it to the President of Iran, he must be up based on past nominees…

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Following is from a Google news source – Oboma won it based on the fact that “hope springs eternal” and not for drastic change in the world the last 12 months. (I’m scratching my head as well.)

“STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN; and BOSTON — The surprise decision to award President Barack Obama the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize had much of the world scratching its head on Friday, even among the president’s most ardent fans. Less than a year into office, the young president has made lofty promises, committed his administration to diplomacy, and convinced the world that a less belligerent America is in the offing.

And the five-member Norwegian committee that picks the annual peace-prizewinner clearly has something more in mind than simply giving Obama a $1 million high-five for being such a popular guy. Unlike the other Nobels, which are given for a lifetime of generally indisputable high achievement in areas like physics, chemistry, and literature, the peace prize has often been awarded more in hope than hindsight — and with an eye to nudging world events.”

No opinions on the news……

Pete

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

I’m working on a cold fusion reactor in my basement.

Please give me my Nobel prize!!!

This is exactly my thoughts as well.
    Since when was the Nobel prize about high hopes and perceived good karma?
    He has done nothing except appease countries who will see his appeasement as weak…I believe it has cheapened the status of the prize.
    And I do not care if he is a Dem or a Rep.

Perhaps is was based on “Change We Can believe In”
    Which now should read “Change can you Believe what it will cost you?”
    or
    Change, if you squint just right you might be able to see it…nope I still can’t!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Yeah, this was all he needed! He’s just starting to do good things and now he gets this slapped on him, which normally he should be proud of, but even his administration was surprised by the announcement.

ET

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.