My Dad- a Tribute

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Thursday, July 9th my family and I sat in a hospital room with my father as he took his last breath. He was nearly

91 years old. I tell myself he had a full life and that he said he was ready to go, but that does not ease the pain

of his passing.

Dad was one of the last of a dying breed. He was born in 1918 and grew up on a small family farm. He took over the

farm at the age of 18 when his father passed away, working hard to support his mother and little brother. He farmed

with horses until the early 40’s, when his country called during WWII. He answered the call and served in the Army

for four years. After the war he was able to purchase his first tractor! He also married my mother and had his first

son during the war, and seven more children followed. He had to take night jobs in local factorys to support us,

often working 18 hour days in order to supply his family with what now would be considered a very basic existence.

Dad was not one to spend a lot of time in pursuit of relaxation. He did not have time to take us fishing, on

vacation, or on family getaways until the early 70’s, when he had scratched out enough to buy his first new vehicle,

a truck, and a camper to go with. I was fortunate enough to be the second youngest child, and my little sister and I

did get to go on several family trips with Dad and Mom. He loved the vast diversity of nature in our country, and our

travels where focused on seeing our great country and on visiting far away family and friends.

Growing up during the Great Depression he hunted (and fished some) to feed his family. I believe during this time he

came to really love nature, and was always a steward of the land and resources at hand. He passed this love of nature

and respect for the wildlife on to his children. He taught us to take what is needed, replace what you take, and

never leave the land worse for your efforts. He could identify virtually every tree and plant in the field and wood,

and knew every bird by sight or song.

Seeing the world progress through the 1900’s, dad also became a preservationist of farming traditions and values. It

disturbed him to see wetlands drained, timbers cleared or fencerows removed. Seeing the loss of habitat for wildlife

troubled him greatly, and he did what he could with his land to prevent this loss. Dad had what is now, it seems, a

very rare view of the use of the bounty God blessed us with. While he loved wildlife, he understood the balance of nature

with people as a part of that balance. Taking what was needed from the earth and nature was fine with him, but giving

back or replacing what was taken was just as important.

In his retirement years, dad still worked much harder than most men, cutting firewood, gardening, and maintaining

and restoring his farm kept him very active physically. When illness or injury kept him from working, he would nearly

lose his mind with boredom. I am sure this work ethic is what allowed him to have such a long life.

Always treating people with the utmost respect and courtesy, Dad had a vast array of friends from a lifetime of

being there for those in need. He taught us the value of honesty, integrity, compassion, and love. He was never a man

of many words. I do not recall ever hearing him say “I love you”, but I never doubted his love. He LIVED it. So much

of his life was devoted to caring and providing for his children, yet I never heard him complain about not having

money or time for himself. His family and friends where his world.

So much I have learned from him, and so much more I wish I would have taken the time to learn. I will miss him

dearly the rest of my life. I can only hope to be half the man my father was. Rest in peace Robert Tucker. We love

you!

Hounddog1953

Sorry for your loss. When I read this I thought of my dad and there are many similarities in the story. That is way they call our dads group “the greatest generation”.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like your dad was an awesome man who lived his life to the fullest. Hopefully you can pass on his traits to your family, Dan

wolfman-k

Our greatest gift to the world we love is the lessons and examples we instill in those we leave behind to carry on. Bless your Father for his values, it sounds like he can be very proud of his family.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

He sounds like a great man and a wonderful father. This is a tough time. I lost my mother May 18th and am still dealing with her passing. My prayers are with you and your family.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

That is a very good tribute I am sure he would be proud of. Thank You for sharing it with us.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Hey John, you’re family is in our prayers. Great to read about your dad. I gotta call mine here too now.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

John, I am sorry for you loss.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sorry for your loss John. My dad had alot of similarities that your dad did. He never missed work, was always out in the field hunting or fishing and knew alot about the flora and fauna. A guy never feels the pain and loss until someone like that is gone. I have alot of good memories of being with my dad and him teaching me the outdoors,,,like you have and will too for many years to come.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

So sorry to hear of your loss John. Not only can you be proud of your Dad and the life he led but you should be proud of the love and respect you have given him.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

John, I’m sorry to here about the loss of your father. Prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’m truely sorry for your loss John. Sounds like he was a great man and you and your family have a lot of memories to remember him from. Take care and remember the good times.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I’m teary eyed as I type here John, memories of my Dad I lost when I was 21. Gosh I wish he could see my kids. Thoughts are with you, know that they are looking down on us and laughing, every time I get a hook in my hand with a northern I hear my pa. God Bless!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

John,
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I know your pain. My dad passed away almost 2 years ago. Sounds like they were cut out of the same mold. My dad walked 3 miles to work every day for over 40 years no matter how cold or hot it got here in Minn. He climed electric power poles with foot spikes for years. He was 92 and healthy til the end. Then 10 months later I lost my mom.
    You are in my thoughts and peayers. Hold on strong to your faith and God will help you thru this.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

John,
    thanks for sharing. Nicely done…I’ll bet there won’t be a day that goes by that you don’t think about your dad.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Sorry to hear the loss of your father John. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. It sounds like you were truly blessed to have such a wonderful father.

ted-merdan

A moving tribute – my condolences to you and your family. You have some great memories there to cherish the rest of your life!

-ted

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sorry to hear of your dads passing. Great tribute, alot of it reminded me of my dad, who I lost 14 years ago. It will never get easy, but will get easier. You have lots of great memories, you will never lose.

Glen

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.