Repelling bugs

• floridagatorblue
    Bettendorf, IA

has anyone had any luck with these fancy bug reppellers for your boat. there are many kinds and just wondering if any or all of them work effectively or should I just keep my deet and save the money to buy more deet?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Check out the Cat forum. These guys have the worst of the worst when it comes to bugs. Many of the guys really like the new ThermaCell. They are relatively cheap too. I’m gonna get one for the garage logic sessions so the skeeters don’t affect our master planning sesssions.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I bought a Thermacell after hearing some of the hunting guys talk about them but I have yet to use or have it with me when I needed it. I heard bowhunters talk about them and stories of no odor but when I realized that these are butane powered I can’t imagine that there is not some odor…

I’ll be taking it to the Bemidji area with me in two weeks.

Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

ThermaCell

I know people that use them for bear and deer hunting….but then I know good hunters that smoke while hunting.

For guiding or even fishing by myself, I wouldn’t be without at least one. When the skeeters are really thick…I would use two thermocells. One for the guy in the front of the boat and one for the two of us in the back.

They are the only thing that I’ve found that actually work. AND if they get tipped over, they don’t burn your carpeting. They run $19.95 most places, but check Craigs List and Ebay, there have been deals on them.

Check out Steve DeMars article in the Articles Forum….Cat Tip of the Day.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I love my ThermaCell here too

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Another vote for Thermacell!
    I’ve used it bear hunting, deer hunting, sitting at the cabin around the camp fire.

If it give off an oder, the animals must not mind it…

Jami

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Another vote for Thermacell!
    I’ve used it bear hunting, deer hunting, sitting at the cabin around the camp fire.

If it give off an oder, the animals must not mind it…

Jami

Ditto If they give off an odor, I can tell you it does not bother deer…. and more importantly, the wife !!! We use them on the deck at the cabin… cats meow !!!

big G

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

ThermaCell – Don’t leave home without it!!

I sat in the boat last night in my long johns with the ThermaCell cranked. Crazy spring weather this year. Missed a big flathead too

scott-k
    Red Wing

I just bought one…I might even have to try cat fishing (gulp!)one night.

Can you turn it on and off to preserve the butane and wick when done for the night?

floridagatorblue
    Bettendorf, IA

do they help with the darned flies too?

floridagatorblue
    Bettendorf, IA

you guys preferr the lantern or the device that goes into the holster? for use on your boats

hags54701
    Eau Claire, WI

Thermacell has worked great for me. I watched a fly go into convulsions after landing on the working parts. Dead serious it took the fly like ten minutes to get going. I was so entranced that I couldn’t take my eyes off it. Of course, it could have been a high colesterol stroke that I was witnessing in the fly and it just happened to coincide with the Thermacell. Either way, Thermacell is definitely worth the money.

bts
    Centuria, Wi.

The lantern works great because you can set it about anywhere and it stays put pretty well, can’t go wrong with either one though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

you guys preferr the lantern or the device that goes into the holster? for use on your boats

Don’t really need the holster in the boat. The lantern has melted wax. Not a big deal if it doesn’t tip over and/or a fuel fume build up.

I would use the lantern at a camp site ect when I’m not worried about an open flame or spilling the wax.

The butane TC works like a hand warmer and it will work upside down and on your carpeting without burning it.

For in a boat, my two thumbs are up for butane!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

another vote for thermacell

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I just bought one…I might even have to try cat fishing (gulp!)one night.

Can you turn it on and off to preserve the butane and wick when done for the night?

Definitely can conserve the butane…. the pads start blue, when they turn white/tan they are shot. I always turn mine on and off.

Thermacell

big G

rmartin
    United States

How well do these work on windy days in a boat? Thanks

big_g
    Isle, MN

Never tried that… I would think if the wind was up, the bugs would be down ??? Interested too if anyone used in the wind.

big G

fishbizbob

Ordered one today, I’ll let you know how well it works on those darn gnats!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Cat fishing on windy days, I’ll find the skeets in the boat and about ummm ankle level. I place the TC on the floor and that takes care of them.

There are some non biting bugs the TC won’t keep away. There’s been a few nights when the bugs whatever they were) were so thick it was hard to talk. The TC didn’t seem to affect them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.