Think your healthy?

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Well I thought I was! Aside from being a little over weight, ( although I “carried it well”) I have always been fairly active, and kept my self in decent shape. Not good enough to go for a run or anything, but I could walk the Pheasant fields all day with out really getting winded and last time I deer hunted, I made a drive without any problems! Two weeks ago while running from one end of the Building at work to the other to respond to an emergancy (turned out to be a false alarm!) I felt a tightness in my chest. Knowing I am a little out of shape I wrote it off to “sucking some wind”. When it started down my left arm, I had a feeling it was a little more than that! It went away almost immedately after I stopped and rested (with in seconds) so I didn’t consider it an emergancy. I had a Dr. appt the next week anyway so I mentioned it then. Doc thought it was pretty significant so he refered me to cardiology. I was there the next day for a stress test which showed a problem and I was scheduled for a heart Cath the next morning. From that, I found that I had one artery blocked (almost totally) and that is was in such a place that they were not able to Stent it. That meant a bypass…. open heart surgery! DUDE (I never use that word, but it seems appropriate in this case ), I’m only 45! . Well, I had the surgery this past Tuesday and it went really well. I came home on Friday and am doing great .
    My point for this post is, we are all “active”. We hunt, walk the fields scouting, we “run” our dogs, we are “in pretty good shape for our age”. My advise: get a physical. Talk to your Doc about everything in your life. If you feel something that “just dosen’t quite feel right” don’t ignore it, no matter your age! Tell your Doc. I thank the Lord that I mentioned it to my Doc and I got it taken care of before I had the “big one”! Please, don’t right off the signs, no matter how insignificant it may seem. I had a lot of people praying me through this and I felt every one of them. I pray that this post and my experiance will make you all more aware of your body and if it gets just one of you in to see your Doc about “that little pain” or “just feeling tired all the time”, and helps save them from going through the situation I just went through, It will be worth it all to me.

Sorry for the ramble. This was a big wake up call for me and I just want to help keep others from the same scare…. or worse!

Labman

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.