Boat question

• Anonymous

I have the itch / wish to upgrade my boat this spring.

I have looked around a bit and really like the Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk DC. I was thinking about the motor size and a sales person I was dealing with told me that the 115 yamaha is really the only true fuel injected motor. Let me clarify that, we where only talking about yamaha here. He said that the 90 is not a true fuel injection, his explanation sounded kind of fishy to me but I dont know didley about yamaha motors. I have heard lots of good things about them, just not to educated on the mechanics of the things. My real question is two part.

1. I want a motor that trolls well so if it takes a smaller motor thats ok, do you think a 115 is ok for this? and what brand would be your reccomendation?

2. He also spoke of a new emissions deal that is suppose to go in effect in 2006, and that 4 stroke motors and fuel injection is the way to comply with this.

I was a little in the dark on that, but I do recall hearing something on that. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Anonymous

One thing to keep in mind about the 2006 emissions regs. When they go into effect, that does not mean all of the old motors can’t be used any longer. Just means any new motors sold will need to meet the regulations. Most motors sold today already meet those standards.

As for trolling. You should seriously consider a kicker motor. A Yamaha T-8 would look great next to that 115. The 115 will cover a lot of trolling situations. But when you need to go really slow, you will need a kicker. Another good agument for a kicker is this. If your main motor ever breaks down, (won’t start, blown power head, broken lower unit or prop) you will always have that kicker to get you home.

Good luck on your search.

J.

WalleyeShamen

I have heard many good things about the 100, 115 and 125 Merc motors. They switch down from 4 to 2 cyl at low RPMs. I have used the 100 on a tiller Pro-V and it backtrolled as slowly as my 75 Merc. They are relatively cheap as well.

The only negative thing I have heard about the motors relates to waterskiing. When the RPMs increase and the other 2 cyl kick in, there is a bit of a lurch.

Steve Hougom
    Onalaska, WI

The only thing I regretted about my Yamaha 115 is selling it. It sat on a 1750 Fish Hawk and was a perfect match for that boat. Dont get a 90. You will underpower that boat too much. I had a 90 on my previous fish hawk and it didnt take long to start regretting it.

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

I bought a 1650 Fish Hawk last year with the 80 Yamaha 4 stroke, it is not fuel injected. Yamaha does not make a 90 4 stroke so I am not sure what you are talking about there.

They make a 100 and a 115 (and larger), but not a 90.

The EFI does not start until the 115. Go with the 115 as you always want to max out the horsepower if you can afford it. You will not regret it and the resale value will always be there.

Matt Beulke

Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys. Now I want a 90 knowing I cant get one, haha. Seems the sales guy I was dealing with needs to brush up a bit on his Yamaha line. I am sure I just misunderstood, we talked about Mercury and Johnson also. I think I will be staying with my current boat until next year for sure. ran into a few unexpected expenses the last week. I really wanted a new boat too…:(

Steve Hougom
    Onalaska, WI

Oh forgot to mention. I could get that 115 down slower than my 90 ficht ever could. No contest. I trolled with my 115 all the time. Got it down to speeds less than 1.0 mph. It might cost you a little more but you kill two birds with one stone. You dont underpower and you can troll. This motor will allow you to get by without a kicker in alot of trolling applications.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.