Steve Cady – Preferences?

• Anonymous

This is a question for Steve but thought the discussion may interest others so it’s a post.

Steve, just wondering what your muskie equipment preferences are. Rods, line, reels………………..I’m somewhat of an equipment junkie but still an infant to the world of muskies. Do you use different set ups for bucktails vs. jerkbaits vs. livebait or does one good outfit cover the bases?

Anonymous

Kid,

Great question!

First off let me state that I am NOT sponsored by any of the following companies. I use the products because I like the performance.

(Not that I won’t accept a sponsorship…. [email protected] )

Jerkbait and heavy cranks..

I use a 6’6″MH Shimano Compre rod (Great rod for under $100)

A Abu Garcia 6500 c3

And Tuff line…between 30 lbs & 80 Lbs. depending on conditions.

I make my own 12″ sinlge strand Titanium leaders

For Bucktails, light Cranks and most topwater.

A 8’MH Premier St. Croix

Abu Garcia 6500 TCM C4 (Geared to 5:3:1)

Tuff Line 30-80 lbs.

8″ Single strand titanium leader

The above are my “Go To” set ups

I also have a Custom Fenwick 7’6″ with Abu 6500 TCM

that is rigged with a throw back lure…Typically a plastic of some type…

If I went thru all the equipment that’s in my basement or with me at certain times you’d find a little of everything but the above products are what I use the most.

Also I’d like to say that I’ve found THE BEST boat in my opinion for Muskie fishing. I have a Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk that is a muskie man’s dream.

Again let me state I AM NOT SPONSORED BY ANY OF THE ABOVE MANUFACTURERS!!!! BUT I WOULDN’T DECLINE IF OFFERED!!

)

Steve

Did I mention that I’m not sponsored by the above?

Anonymous

Uhhh…………Steve……………….ummmm…………would you like a sponsorship? A contingency plan? A factory ride perhaps? Just playin’! :O) I think anyone of us would give a couple of left gems to land the support we need to go full bore! I have no connections for a sponsorship, but maybe I could help by booking a ’02 muskie trip with you? Then, when you put me on that 60 incher, I can throw all the publicity your way. You know, not mention the lake, but rather that I got it from an “undisclosed area through you” and that outa get some attention to you………….right? Okay………so it’s not the cherry on top of your banana split but it’s the best I can do! *grin*

Now, back to the info……………..

Do you work live bait at all and do you use your bucktail set up for that? I’d also like to know what your favorite time of year for muskie hunting is and which technique gives you the most confidence for boating a fish?

Thanks for the info so far and I gotta say, I’m really looking forward to your presence on this site!

Stillakid2

Anonymous

Kid,

I do not use live bait myself in the pursuit of Muskies but have in the past. If the waters I fished allowed 2 lines like Wisconsin (Glad we don’t) then perhaps I would use this method a little more. When I have I’ve used a quick strike rig and my bucktail set up. One other live bait technique that I would like to experiment with is the use of nightcrawlers to target skie’s. 2002 could get interesting. Favorite time of year would be when water temps are between 58-65 degrees seems the feedbag goes on at this time and the fish are constantly moving. As far as technique…my favorite by far is topwater…. but a confidence bait would be a jerk bait like a Jerko or Reef Hawg….followed very closely by a spinner bait….

Now after writing the above I’m praying for soft water soon! Cave Run in March only 2 1/2 months away!!!!

I’m looking forward to growing with FTL and spending some time on the water with everyone here as well!

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.