Let’s talk lures!!

• Anonymous

Hello, my name is waterfowler, I’m a tackle junkie. OK guys, I haven’t had the itch to hit the ice until last night. Went to Gander and spent a better share of my xmas present on several new lures. Wondering what your opinions are of this tackle?? I’m a sucker for just about anything new that I don’t have in the box.

I picked up several of the Salmo Chubby darters, at that price they better catch fish. If you’re not familiar with them, they are similar to the Normark jigging rap. Not sure what action this lure will have since it doesn’t have any “lips”. Does anyone have any personal experience?? I really like the paint job Salmo does.

I bought a bunch of the Lindy Techni glow jigs in the Genz worm, pounder and the new tear drop shaped one. I also bought the Tazer for lighting these jigs. I messed around with them in a dark room and was fairly impressed with the the glow.

Of course I picked up some more swedish pimples(best ice lure ever made). I also picked up several of the Northland buckshot rattle spoons. I’ve read several articles that brag these up, but these are my first. What’s your experience with these?? I think, they will be the hot ticket on days when you need to pull the fish in from a distance. I can’t wait to try them on the sumo perch on Mille Lacs.

I also picked up a couple packages of the ice buster bobbers. This will be my first year with these also, but I’ve heard nothing but good comments on this simple yet effective little invention.

Along with one of the new Plano waterproof boxes, I’ve got a pretty decen array of stuff to try out. Now I’m ready to gas up the auger, buy the shack license and hit the ice. What am I missing??

Anonymous

The Buckshot rattle spoon was my “Go To” lure all of last season. Those spoons really put fish on the ice!

Have not tried any of the other new stuff you mention..and thanks for the ice house license reminder. Need to pick one up. Looks like I’ll be on the ice this weekend too.

J.

Anonymous

THE best icefishing lure ever made for panfish is the Flirty Girty!!! Extra weght built in so you don’t need a split shot. Perfectly balanced so it sits horizontal all the time and it works great with live bait or plastics. If you don’t have any, get some black ones and some purple ones and you’ll be convinced in no time that Flirty Girtys are great.

Beav

Anonymous

You have purchased items that show up in my box also. I will be hitting LOTW on 01/04 and can’t wait to try the Salmo’s up there. If things go right I may be able to experiment on Mille Lacs before then. The new glow tackle definately has a longer “on” time compared to the older stuff. You will like the Ice Buster bobbers. As you match them to your lures , you will find it easier to detect light bites.

Anonymous

Alas, I have no Flirty Girtys, where could I find some? Thanks….B

Anonymous

Waterfowler,

I have had a pretty good chance to test tha chubby darter and I dought if you will be disapointed.Salmo is one of my sponsors so I have had them for awhile and you may just change your opinion on the best ice lure ever made.They swim on a free fall just like a crankbait that you would troll.They have a very realistic swim to them that I have never seen before on a vertical lure.They do not look like they would swim as you mentioned but you will be surprised at their motion.If you get a chance swim it in a tank so you can get a look at the different things you can make it do by changing your jig motion,just keep in mind you want it to free fall a foot or better to get the full effect of it`s swim.I have used it this fall on the open water also and found it to be a very good option for Red Wing on the eyes and sauger.Please keep us posted on your results with them,and I also agree you made a great choice withthe ice buster bobbers cause I have found nothing better.Good fishing it shouldn`t belong now.Brett.

Anonymous

Capras in Blaine has Flirty Girtys.

Last year I had a lot of luck bringing fish in with the Northland rattle spoons, but found bye watching on the camara that the fish would come in the area but not always come in and hit it. I found that by having a small shiner under a bobber I was able to get more walleyes to strike. I also use them and Swedish pimples tipped with waxxies for crappies and find that its usually best not to jig too aggressivly once the fish are nearing the bait.

Anonymous

Mike,

My experience with the pimples is very similar, jig agressively to get their attention, but then slow to barely moving the lure, if at all.

Brett,

I can’t wait to try out those darters. I’ve heard/read many good things about salmo. Thanks for the input!!

One toy I don’t have in my arsenal is a camera. I’ve got access to one so I haven’t broke down and made that purchase. Gander has an excellent deal on the Catch cams right now, but I just don’t have the 300 to invest. What cams do you guys run? I’ve got personal experience with Vista, Aqua Vu and OVS. Each camera has options I would like to combine into one good one. Maybe that’s why I haven’t purhcased one yet, still waiting for the “perfect” one to come along??

DONOTDELETE

All great lures mentioned so far. I’d like to add jigging raps in firetiger and blue/silver and gold or blue/silver Kastmaster spoons for icing walleye on Mille Lacs and elsewhere.

Anonymous

You will have to try that bucksot rattle spoon on the river or your favorite lake when it isn’t frozen. They work great on the open water also just let it bounce of the bottom a few time then raise it and just jiggle it a little and hold on. I also like that fire eye minnow.

Anonymous

One of the lures I use the most while ice fishing is JB Weasels, i’ve had great success with them tipped with a minnow head. The other lure I like is the small jig-a-whopper but have experienced the hooks straightening out on them on larger fish.

Hook

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.