New Flasher

• Anonymous

Has anyone checked out the new Vexilar fl 18 ?

Or has purchased one yet? I would like to try one out and compare it to the fl 8.

Let me know what ya think…………

Anonymous

I personally have not used the new fl-18 but I know a member of the vexilar pro staff and he says the detail of the split screen is excellent. He was saying you can tell where you are fishing in the water column within an 1/2 inch. He was also saying you can pick out fish that are “stuck” to the bottom, whereas you cannot with the fl-8. Just another technical wonder I guess we can’t live without. lol

Anonymous

I was just out in the boat with the new FL-18. I love it!

I got it to work with the trolling motor transducer I had mounted for my old FL-8 SLT. It’s too bad that you can’t buy them with the dual beam ice ducer although. That’s an extra 90 bucks. The FL-18 has a 12 degree transducer which is more accurate in eliminating dead zone than a 19 degree, but not as accurate as the 9 degree. Good fishin’

Anonymous

Thanks for the come back……..

Would you prefer a 9deg. transducer over a 19deg. for ice fishing used on the vexilar?

Anonymous

Bobber,

I have the dual beam so I have both the 9 and 19. for spot on the spot I like the 9. For suspended crappies over deep water I like the 19. The 9 degree by itself is tougher to use on jigging walleyes as they are bang right there. The extra cone of the 19 gives me that extra bit of time to help them come up on the ice. It’s basically an issue of depth of water I’m fishing. If it’s shallow 5-10 feet on either transducer the fish show up quick under the hole as your cone area of coverage is only a couple feet at most with either the 9 or the 19. Deep water 20 to 30 the 9 helps you really get on the spot on the spot and the deeper you go from there the more accurate the 9 degree is. So to me there’s advanges to both I guess.

On the boat I only run the 19 degree. It’s easier to move in the boat to find the spot on the spot than drilling holes, but boat control becomes more of the issue then as getting blown or pushed by the wind then becomes more of an issue. Hope that helps. Is there any ice on the bays or small lakes forming? Tight lines!

Edited by TGIF on 12/06/01 02:18 AM.

Anonymous

Hey thanks for the info, Im going down to Cabelas this Sat. for their Cabelas Club Holiday Weekend! and plan to check out the new Vexilar with the dual beam transducers. As far as ice around here, Mille lacs has some ruff ice a bit on shore( about 2 feet out from shore) and the smaller lakes up north of here near and around Bay Lake have some ice I’ve noticed. We need some cold day’s & night’s to get this winter going…………..I love to fish open water, but to get out on the first ice of the season is special!!!!!I’ve had some great walleye fishing on 5 in. of ice here on Mille Lacs!

Bobber……..

Anonymous

Hey Bobber, I will be there Saturday also, time to get some Xmas shopping done for myself, i.. mean others. I will be there around 10 or so, i will look for ya.

Dman

Anonymous

Dman,

We won’t be down till the afternoon, Bobbers and I will be doing a little spending that afternoon. I think the girls are coming with, how about you?

Hook

Anonymous

Yeah, we are heading down there before our Company Xmas party. We will be out of there by 1 or until I run out of $$ which will be pretty quick.

Dman

Anonymous

Thanks for the the great info here, I went down this past Saturday to Cabelas and purchased a FL-18. I can’t wait to get out on the ice and give it a go! Cabelas had the basic unit for $319.99

Bobber……….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.