Northern eating northern (Picture)…

• djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

I’m going to try posting my first picture here so I hope it works…
    I was out fishing this morning and came across these two floating dead in the water (luckily I had the camera with). They weren’t all that big – maybe 2.5 – 3.0 pounds each. Anybody ever see anything like this before? Just thought you might find it interesting.

Thanks,

Dave

djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

Here is another one…

djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

and one more…

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

NO WAY!
    Hollywood2

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Awesome! wonder what the fish were thinking….

for a second there I thought I have to smack you for posting that same pic thats been up about 10 times, with the big northern eating a walleye.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

both where swimming for the same minnow and well missed and got eachother. or else they where trying to see whose mouth was the biggest.

shane

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

I’ve always thought the Pike with the smaller/rounder dots were more aggressive and likely to grow larger… That photo kinda shows that, expect in this case I don’t think that either pike will grow much larger…

They look fairly fresh judging by the gills.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Cool pic!! I also notice the difference in markings. All most like a tiger pattern.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Nice photos.
    Do you think fish have egos????????????

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

If you check out this page on on the dnr website….I may have an answer as to why the two northern’s are of different spots:

Northern pike biology

It has a section on tiger muskie……this pic wasn’t taken near or around the twin cities area lakes per chance??

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

I don’t think it been edited. I have seen both strains of Pike in one body of water plenty of times.

kris_brantner
    My river

ya but on the tiger musie the strpies are usually vertical not horozontal like this one

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

There are a few tell tail signs that both fish are Pike…

djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

I assure you the pictures are authentic. The only way I can think to prove it is for you to drive to my house and look at the originals that are still in the digital camera.
    Believe what you want.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Cool pics Dave! What lake were you fishing?

djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

Lake Elmo – last Saturday morning.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Look at the 1st pic guy’s, Sure looks like 2 of the same to me. Must be the water making it alittle obscure.

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

I know one thing….I’m sure glad that we can’t open our mouths that big….I know there’d be at least one incident on the news a month- ‘ man swallows another man after bar room disagreement…..both die of suffacation and humilation’

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Look at the 1st pic guy’s, Sure looks like 2 of the same to me. Must be the water making it alittle obscure.

The larger spots are evident in all 3 pics.

DJL – Did the thought of grabbing them and having a skin mount done cross your mind? That would make an AWESOME conversation piece and well……….. the fish are already dead so there’s no conservation issue. Wrap in a moist towel and freeze! Could be spendy but that’d be way cool!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

You see this every once in a while but do you think the fish did it, or someone just caught two and jammed one down the other one’s throat? I’ve always wondered that.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

its hard to tell with them in the water.. but the odd looker might be a pickerel…
    anyway cannibalism is not unusual… pike really like long skinny prey…. and they can choke down something pretty big… but in this case… it just choked and that was that…. they dont always judge correctly….. just goes to show you how voracious they can be….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.