Keeping trophy’s untill taxidermy

• pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Hey Guys,
    What is the best ways to keep your trophies, untill you get it to a taxidermist? (Fish, phesant, grouse, ect)
    Thanks
    Later
    Hollywood2

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

My last mount got a lot of freezer burn being we only kept it in tin foil and it was in there for like 6 months. The taxidermist told me to next time rap the fish in a damp towl and place it in a garbage bag and seel it up.. It should stay good…

What are you looking to mount anyway??

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Partially freeze them, then seal them with a vacuum sealer!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Wrap them up with wet paper towels and freeze them that way.

This especially applies to animals of fur or feather. It is critical to wrap ears, nose, beak, eyes, whatnot with WET papertowels. The paper towels freese onto the skin, sealing it.

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Just roll them up with wet paper towels then place in garbage bag. I placed cut out cardboard around the tail also. After I place it into the garbage I added a little more water. Good luck.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

For birds…pheasants, ducks, etc. I have always been told to put them in an old nylon. Poke a hole in the toe and pull the beak and head thru there. This keeps all the feathers in tact and in place when it gets time to go to the taxidermist.

Bob Bowman
    MN

bigfish679 is right on. wrap them in a damp towel, not soaking wet, just damp, you can use a box of some sort to make cutouts of the tailfins to protect them, and put a paperclip on them to make sure that they stay in place, do this on both sides of the tail. I would not use wet pater of any sort, towels, or anything cotton is the way to go.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

For birds…pheasants, ducks, etc. I have always been told to put them in an old nylon. Poke a hole in the toe and pull the beak and head thru there. This keeps all the feathers in tact and in place when it gets time to go to the taxidermist.

I use this method as well for ducks and it works well.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

For fish I place cardboard with paperclips on the fins and then wrap them in celeophane (sp?) then in freezer paper.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was just looking at this post 14 pages back about half an hour ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.