Another Computer Question?

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I am using word 2000 but something happened and it wont open. The computer states I am “dangerously low on resources”, i.e. memory, and everything ends up freezing up. The deal is though I just put in another 128mb of memory and my other programs don’t seem to be affected. It isn’t a memory problem but Word thinks it is. Anyone know the solution to this problem? I have uninstalled the program and loaded it again – no luck.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Couple of questions for you Dirk:

1. Operating system?
    2. How many applications do you typically have up and running at once?
    3. Can you look at your processes and see what might be taking up all of your resources?

I have an old windows ’98 e-machine that i have hooked up for internet usage…When i expanded the memory, i took another e-stick and loaded it…since then i’ve had the same problem you have. Not so much in word, but if i’m running 4-5 apps (typically mp3 player and messengers–along w/IE) I will sometimes get that error message.

I bet you’ve noticed that when you reboot your machine you are good to go for a while??

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Im using Windows 98. It won’t open at all, even after I reboot. My computer currently states I have 45% of my resources free??? I thought meant memory?? I’m tring to hang on to this computer for awhile as upgrading it wouldn’t be worth the hassle but with my new cable internet (soon) I may have to upgrade the whole sha bang $$$.

I’m not sure what you mean in #3??

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I think the next thing you need to do is to Uninstall the memory chip and see if the problem continues (or is this why you loaded the memory stick to begin with?)

If you uninstall and the problem goes away, then you have some kind of memory leak resulting from the new chip you put in.

I hate to say it, but older machines like ours just need to be nickled and dimed until they stop working

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im having the same problem slop. I bought another 128 stick and im in the process of running speed disc and defragging but my neighbor says ive got too much on my machine. I’ve only got the programs running in the background that i need, like 3 but i still get the same warning that resources are critically low with 68% memory left. Too many uncompleted progams maybe? ive got a daughter that uses it all the time burning a mountain of cd’s from a supposed safe site plus a son and his girlfriend whos on it so i don’t know what the problem is. I clean cookies and files every day or two. I was told to get a good spyware program and put up a firewall, they said that would help. Got any gurus out there that know a good spyware program to buy. I heard spykiller is one of the better ones.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

If you aren’t already, download, install, and run Ad-aware from Lavasoft.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I just uninstalled a screen saver program that my daughter downloaded a long time ago and now Word opened. Maybe all those different screensavers overwhelmed things…..who knows. James has got to get a Graemlin that scratches his head and looks like he doesn’t have a clue – that would be me .

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I run Lavasoft Ad-Aware frequently – thats a good program!

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Quote:

I just uninstalled a screen saver program that my daughter downloaded a long time ago and now Word opened. Maybe all those different screensavers overwhelmed things…..who knows. James has got to get a Graemlin that scratches his head and looks like he doesn’t have a clue – that would be me .

Yes, screen savers and photos you may use as a back drop use up LOTS of memeory. Kids/adult games too. Storing photos on your computer as well. Programs like Home Pub. and having lots of clip art in Word files. I learned the hard way.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Need I say more?!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Use to get that problem once in awhile too with windows 98. I would shut down then come back up. I tried to buy the new Mini Mac which is 2” high and 6 1/2 inches wide and long but every place I called around the country had them on backorder so I bought a new HP with windows XP and so far love it. No more problems.
    Thanks, Bill

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Macs are fine, but you don’t have anywhere near the selection of software as with a PC.

Windows 98 has many memory problems and the next version Windows Me was even worse. The only Windows OSes I recommend are Windows 2000 or XP. Get XP if you are looking to run games as it is more compatible.

As to shown available memory on Win98, most of those utilities are showing the total harddrive swap space(temporary non-active program memory) + physical memory (i.e. memory “sticks”). With some screensavers and desktop images the physical memory is totally used and the only thing left is swap space. A program MUST have physical memory available to run. It cannot run from swap space. Even without a fancy screensaver or desktop image, Windows 98 frequently uses most all available physical memory and only gives it back for programs to use when the OS starts paging (transfering programs stored in swap to physical memory and vise versa).

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Osprey, i was told that the new information coming from better and faster computers, when i download it too my pc its much faster than my 98 version can properly handle and it overwhelms the memory in mine. I bought mine in 99. Im thinking about rebuilding my pc through a company in des moines. They sell all new motherboards, bios, processors and hardware. Ive checked i can can rebuild mine for around $400. Im wondering if thats the best way to go instead of buying a whole new pc, i like the one ive got and would like too keep it. A new motherboard that has better capabilities and an 80 gig hard drive is only about $160 for those two. Im not sure what the bios cost and i found out that the processor is the most costly, the faster it is the more expensive it is. For the next few years what should i buy for speed in the processor, can i get a reasonably fast processor for around $200? any information will be appreciated

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Mack how do you disable all startup items and which ones do i need to bring back up again, huge question?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I just tried what you said and i got a message that a missing file cannot be found????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

All I know is that my ol’ Mac does everything I need it to AND I don’t know what the heck you guys are talking about….including right click!

And I’m going to keep it that way!
    There’s more spinners for bass too…but I’m not switching to bass fishing!

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

I was using my custom 1998 computer up until the end of last year.

Buying parts usually gives you better components, but you don’t save much until you start buying the higher end parts. Buying a new motherboard will require a new power supply and new memory that are not compatible with your ’99 computer. Since you would have to buy a new power supply, you might as well buy a new case that comes with a power supply rated for your motherboard/processor combination.

BIOS comes standard on motherboards ; you don’t have to buy that separately. Otherwise they don’t work!

For processors, I would get the fastest one where the good prices stop. That’s usually 2-4 small speed steps down from the fastest processor. It’s not worth paying for the fastest processor as all will become outdated in 3 years.

Additionally you will probably want to buy a motherboard with included sound, video, ethernet, and modem. Power users usually prefer individual cards for each of those, but they aren’t necessary. Though if you play any graphic intensive games, you will probably end up adding a graphics card at some point in the future.

Hopefully that helps some.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

The missing file message means you need to re-enable one of the items you removed. Though viruses and adware will also give the same type of trouble when trying to remove them. You’ll have to decide what program the missing file is from and if it is a program you can’t live without.

rmartin
    United States

I posted this a little earlier and for some reason, it did not ever show up, anyway,
    Try here:
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

If you have over 512 MB of ram on a 98 machine, you will need specific advice on changing your disk Vcache settings.
    Dheck here:

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/easy.html

I would get and tryout the Cacheman program found here:

http://www.docsdownloads.com/download/cachm511.zip

Total memory and system resources are 2 totally different things. I agree with the other posters regarding going to Msconfig and removing startup programs.

Windows 98 will actually run quite well if it is kept lean and clean. I boot up with a firewall, virus scanner , view fixer, reminder program, intellipoint settings and power amnagement settings and am 88% free resources at startup.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.