Boat Lighting

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

Not sure if anyone else has used these before but I just installed it and turned out SWEET! I bought some 12V LED strip lights with 3M adhesive backing off Ebay. Strip was about 16′ long which was perfect for my 16.5′ Crestliner. I cut the strip into two, soldered on some leads, and wired into an empty accessory switch on my console. Adhesive backing seemed strong and I ran in under the gunwales on each side of my boat. Picture doesn’t do it justice since it looks blindingly bright but it isn’t. Perfect “mood” lighting for those late night walleyes and kitty cats. Light strip was only 13 bucks and is waterproof to boot!

kruger
    Metro,mn

I did this to my boat before I sold it …youll be very pleased with adding the lights! Best mod for a boat hands down

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Quote:

Best mod for a boat hands down

Exactly what I told my wife when I was down…by far, the best mod I have made!

BBKK
    IA

I’m going to do that mod this summer for sure. I have lights already but they are POS bulb lights that don’t light up anything. I’m going to run 4-5 LED strips to replace them.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Hey that looks nice. I used similar lights with a dimmer over and under my sons kitchen cabinets. Worked out well. What color light would you say the lights are, warm white or a bright white?

Could you post the site where you bought the lights. I paid more for the ones I bought.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Here is the link to the ones I bought on Ebay.
    Lights
    I went with the “White” rather than “warm white” or “cool white”. They seem to have many different applications and some aren’t waterproof so make sure you get the waterproof ones if using in the boat.

fireline
    Rochester

How long is the light strip ?

JoeMX1825
    MN

just one note about the adhesive tape backing, in the hot summer days the sticky glue becomes weaker and causes the lights to fall off the strips..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Is red offered like internal ship lights in the Navy so you dont get night blinded?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

just one note about the adhesive tape backing, in the hot summer days the sticky glue becomes weaker and causes the lights to fall off the strips..

Yeah, that is why you do not want to use those types of strips. Use only the LEDs in a silicone flexible strip. Those flat LED strips are worthless.

You want to get this kind

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that is why you do not want to use those types of strips. Use only the LEDs in a silicone flexible strip. Those flat LED strips are worthless.

You want to get this kind
    [image]

They work fine, just get good double-sided tape from 3M

TJ
    Hammond, WI

The strip I had was 5 meters so roughly 16′. Yes, they also come in red and every color imaginable. Thanks for the warning about the adhesive backing. If it fails in hot weather, I will find some other means to attach them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.