Budget Pitching Rod

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

What would be a good pitching rod for a guy on a budget? The rod I’ve been using for pitching started as a 6’6″ medium, then my dog made it a 6′ when I wasn’t watching her. Don’t have $150 to spend on a rod or even $100 for that matter. Looking in the $50-$80 range. Are they all the one in the same in this price range? I liked the Fenwick I held today but know little about them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

What would be a good pitching rod for a guy on a budget? The rod I’ve been using for pitching started as a 6’6″ medium, then my dog made it a 6′ when I wasn’t watching her. Don’t have $150 to spend on a rod or even $100 for that matter. Looking in the $50-$80 range. Are they all the one in the same in this price range? I liked the Fenwick I held today but know little about them.

Dean Marshall showed me some new Shimano rods today that are right up your alley. $40 – $60 price tag with the $60 rods having an over the counter replacement lifetime warranty. I’ll have him chime in here with specifics. What I felt was very, very favorable given the price tag.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I’ve got a 6’6″mh st croix avid I haven’t used in a year or two that was my pitching stick. It’s a sweet rod I just don’t use it anymore. 75$ and it’s all yours.

BBKK
    IA

Walmart carries a diawa that is $69.99, its white. I fished one a while back and it is a darn nice rod for that price range. They had a 7′ MH that would be perfect for pitching and flipping.

mr. sauger25

if ocean dont want the rod from u tim if thats 75 to my door i would be intrested in it or if your heading to red wing ill be there next week

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

Dean Marshall showed me some new Shimano rods today that are right up your alley. $40 – $60 price tag with the $60 rods having an over the counter replacement lifetime warranty. I’ll have him chime in here with specifics. What I felt was very, very favorable given the price tag.

While I have a huge passion for high end rods, even I recognize the need for a financial responsibility. Shimano came through for us in a big way. For well over a year in the making and after going back to the drawing board when a couple of the actions were not quite what we were looking for the end product turned out very well!

Specifically for your description as I understand it, either the convergence starting at $40 or the compre 66mf at $69 would be as versatile multi-tasker as any rod could be.Both rods have all cork handles and over the counter lifetime warranty!!!!!!

Test drives are welcome and encouraged!

Look for more info soon on other models and actions soon. Great options for us rigging/ trolling guys that make it simple & affordable with lifetime warranties as well!
    Good stuff guys!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

Walmart carries a diawa that is $69.99, its white. I fished one a while back and it is a darn nice rod for that price range. They had a 7′ MH that would be perfect for pitching and flipping.

Exactly

P.S. dear walleye fisherman, please stop monkeybuttizing a term that was originated in bass fishing during the early 70s. You are not “pitching plastics” on a spinning rod at the river for walleyes, that would be casting them.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

While I have a huge passion for high end rods, even I recognize the need for a financial responsibility. Shimano came through for us in a big way. For well over a year in the making and after going back to the drawing board when a couple of the actions were not quite what we were looking for the end product turned out very well!

Specifically for your description as I understand it, either the convergence starting at $40 or the compre 66mf at $69 would be as versatile multi-tasker as any rod could be.Both rods have all cork handles and over the counter lifetime warranty!!!!!!

Test drives are welcome and encouraged!

Look for more info soon on other models and actions soon. Great options for us rigging/ trolling guys that make it simple & affordable with lifetime warranties as well!
    Good stuff guys!

Dean is your price on the Compre correct? If so that is a great deal. I always thought the Clarus was in the $69 range. I have several Compre’s and they are a great rod for the $. IMHO

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

quote:
    P.S. dear walleye fisherman, please stop monkeybuttizing a term that was originated in bass fishing during the early 70s. You are not “pitching plastics” on a spinning rod at the river for walleyes, that would be casting them.

P.S. A Jig is not supposed to have rubber legs and a weed guard and a “jerk bait” is not a Rapala, it’s a Musky bait like a Suick

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

P.S. A Jig is not supposed to have rubber legs and a weed guard and a “jerk bait” is not a Rapala, it’s a Musky bait like a Suick

Uhm… a “jig” is a bass jig. You are thinking of a jighead which is used for walleye.

Rapala husky jerk, and smithwick rouge are the original jerk baits… used for bass. Suiks float if I remember correctly, so therefore wouldnt be considered a jerkbait. They would be a giant twitch bait or stick bait.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

Quote:

Uhm… a “jig” is a bass jig. You are thinking of a jighead which is used for walleye.

Rapala husky jerk, and smithwick rouge are the original jerk baits… used for bass. Suiks float if I remember correctly, so therefore wouldnt be considered a jerkbait. They would be a giant twitch bait or stick bait.

Exactly, and pitchin’ jigs can mean for bass or Walleyes.

Bassn Dan

If the “IM-9” blanks on the new Compre’s are equal to the IM-9 blanks that used to be on the Shimano’s Crucial rods, I can see why Dean is excited about these rods! Think of an “Avid” at 1/2 or less the price…

Dan

Sandbags
    SE Wisconsin

Quote:

quote:

The original jerkbait was a Rapala Husky 13 if I am not mistaken.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Yes. My point was, call it what you want. It’s all good imo.

However…a Rapala is only a jerk bait if you jerk it. Frank Suick was making “Jerk Baits” in the 1930’s. And, yeah I know…what end of the line is the jerk on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.