Alaska Family vacation ideas!

• thegun
    mn

Anyone got any good ideas on places or things to do whit a wife and two younge kids (6 and 10)

Been to alaska 2 times now but we were there to hunt… The FW has been hinting that she thinks it would be nice if I take her and the kids up there before I go on my moose hunt in 2014,

So who has been there? 3rd week in july will be the time. any good recomendations for halibut, trout, or salmon?

we will be renting a motorhome so the road will be ours.. where should we stop? what must we see,,

any ideas are welcome

thanx
    TheguN

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I may have a contact out there for you- one of my best friend’s brother lives there, and my buddy has been up there with family a couple times, and the sights were incredible and they some beautiful halibut. I received some of the halibut! Good lord, I don’t know if you could beat the taste and texture. I’ll holler at him tomorrow and throw you a pm within a few days. Major jealous! On my bucket list. Congrats!

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I used to work as a deckhand for http://www.anglingunlimited.com great company that runs a class act operation. All of the captains and the owner are from Minnesota. I noticed you are going via motorhome, Angling Unlimited is located in Sitka, which is in the SE part of Alaska. Check out the website for further info. Very reasonable 25 minutes flights out of Juneau to fish Sitka. 2007 Field and Stream voted Sitka, the #1 place to fish in the world! Beautiful scenery, whales, sealions, brown bears etc… If you get a chance, visit Sitka… you will not be dissappointed!

Feel free send me a PM if you have further detailed questions about the fishing(King Salmon, Silvers, Halibut, Rockfish) Middle of July you will be in the heart of all those species. We have many young kids fish on our boats with no issues in regards to sea-sickness! Officially rambling now, but if you want to fish check them out.

Jake

thegun
    mn

Thanx for the info.. any good info is much appritiated! we have 7 days so the better informed and more options we have the better our planning to soak in as much as possible is great!

we will be on a bit of a budget but still want to do the things we want! so planning is key!

keep it coming!

oh and yes we will be in alaska and we will be doing some fishing! hopefully some each day!

now if you knew of a guide that was cheap for a sheep hunt that would be real good!

deerdragger

A few ideas on land…head north to Denali, stage up there for a day taking in the sites and then maybe even push further north near Fairbanks to take a tour of one of the old gold dredges.

The House Commander and I did this a number of years ago and it was way, way cool. You kids would probably think so too…you get to pan for gold – and you’ll each find a few flakes.

In Anchorage, check out the Alaska Chocolate Factory. Huge waterfall of melted chocolate…mmmm.

Take the drive down the turn-again arm highway to Seward and stop to see Exit and Portage Glaciers. Way cool.

You’re gonna have a blast.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

That should be right around the main sockeye run, which is a blast! I typically fish just out side of Soldotna on the Keni River. If your looking for some information on spots, technique and presentation shoot me a PM.

fishbait

Check out a web site called rv.net. Go to a form called RVing in Canada and Alaska and you can find out about everything you want to know,camping,fishing and site seeing thru Alaska.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Quote:

A few ideas on land…head north to Denali, stage up there for a day taking in the sites and then maybe even push further north near Fairbanks to take a tour of one of the old gold dredges.

The House Commander and I did this a number of years ago and it was way, way cool. You kids would probably think so too…you get to pan for gold – and you’ll each find a few flakes.

In Anchorage, check out the Alaska Chocolate Factory. Huge waterfall of melted chocolate…mmmm.

Take the drive down the turn-again arm highway to Seward and stop to see Exit and Portage Glaciers. Way cool.

You’re gonna have a blast.

Sorry to hijack, but this is sort of what we are planning for mid june of this year. Flying into Anchorage. Driving up to Denali and spending 3 days in that area. Then back to the Kenai Peninsula for a day of fishing. Then to Seward to board a ship for a 6-7 day cruise. I CANNOT wait!

Anybody have any recommendations for fishing in the Soldotna, Homer or Seward area? There will be 4 of us and I am the only one with any fishing experience, so that will be a factor in what we do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.