Rewards Card

• Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Looking for another rewards type credit card. I maxed out the yearly earnings on my current card and the new period doesn’t start until July.

I switched from the Cabela’s to the Venture (Capital One). I don’t believe either has any sort of rewards limit? Maybe I’m not spending enough though..

Capital one has a new cash rewards card that I believe pays 1.5% of all purchases. Other than that, if you like outdoor stuff bent towards the camping end of the spectrum, the REI card appears good, but I haven’t looked into caps and limits on that one.

Good luck!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I get about $300-$500 of gear a year free with our Cabelas cards.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

What % does the Cabelas pay?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I’d like to use my Cabelas card more, But they down graded my limit to $5oo.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I got an Amazon card….. percentages back are pretty decent, and I can use the points as cash back, or purchases on the site.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Really like my Cabelas card.
    Outstanding customer service, fantastic on line info and yearly statements are great.
    Like any card, I wouldn’t have one unless I paid the balance in full every month.
    My $.02

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Really like my Cabelas card.
    Outstanding customer service, fantastic on line info and yearly statements are great.
    Like any card, I wouldn’t have one unless I paid the balance in full every month.
    My $.02

My wife has the Cabelas card. it has good rewards, but not great. I carry a us bank flexperks card. Slightly better rewards you can spend anywhere or get cah back instead of being forced to Cabelas if you don’t want to. It does have a $50 fee each year, but they use rewards for it so you need to use it enough to offset that

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I use the chase freedom get 5% cash back on different categories each quarter on the first $1500 I spend. Q1 and Q3 this year have gas stations so its an easy $75 each quarter. They also have restaurants some times which is easy to max out your rewards as well. 1% cash back on anything else. You can used your rewards as statement credit, cash back or buy other stuff from their website (ie gift cards to almost everywhere)

I actually got a flyer in the mail to refer people by email. If you open a chase freedom card I get $50 and you get $100 if you spend $500 in the first 3 months.

PM if you want the invite.

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

With the Cabelas Visa you get 1% on purchases and 2% on Cabelas purchases. There are also some other stores that you get an increased percentage, I think Cenex gas stations are 2% also. Of Course, the points have to be used at Cabelas.

rmartin
    United States

What do you spend the most on in a month/year? That is what you should look for in a rewards program. Minimum should be 1% on everything and possibility of more on certain categories. I have 4 cards that I use strategically and pay off each month by automatic payment.

buckeye

American Express that I got thru Costco pays 3% on the first $4000 fuel purchased(anywhere) and then 1% on balance of fuel purchased for the year, 2% on most restuarants and 1% on everything else. There are a few places that don’t take American Express. Use Cabela’s for those.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I use the U.S. Bank flexperks card. 1 point per dollar spent, double points on airfare, cell bills, and some other things I can’t remember. I’ve charged 3 business class trips to Israel and about $25,000 in hotels for work over the last year so I got a ton of points. Enough for 2 round trip tickets to Portland, 2 round trip tickets to NYC, and I still have 50,000 more points to use. They have a lot of options for how you use your points also.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

that’s a boat load of points!! I have a chase card and they don’t give me crap

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

It is all about who issues the card… like the Amazon one… it is through Chase. I have a Citi card that maxes out at $500 yr toward a vehicle purchase, then I jump to the Amazon. I think Amazon is like 3 on amazon purchases, 2 on fuel, and 1 or 2 on everything else. Also look for a card that has bonus sign up points. I think my last one was $50. I clear mine each month, and would never pay an annual fee unless the math really justified it.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I use a Chase BP card. 1% on most purchases, 2% on some dining and, if you claim your rewards in gas, roughly 3% on BP purchases. It used to be 2% on all and 5% on BP purchases but I guess everyone is tightening their belts these days.

As eluded to above, points are worthless if you carry a balance on your card…

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I like the Cabelas Signature Black Visa. It is a good card paying 5% back on Cabelas purchases and 1% on all other purchases. I pay the full balance every month so I don’t know the interest rate but its competitive. No annual fee, good customer service, and club specials.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

I like the Cabelas Signature Black Visa. It is a good card paying 5% back on Cabelas purchases and 1% on all other purchases. I pay the full balance every month so I don’t know the interest rate but its competitive. No annual fee, good customer service, and club specials.

Yes, Signature Black is nice for 5% on Cabelas purchases. Can’t seem to make myself use the points when I get 5% for not. There are other special %’s for certain stores…not sure if that is Signature Black cards only or if it is all Cabelas cards.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Signature Black is nice for 5% on Cabelas purchases. Can’t seem to make myself use the points when I get 5% for not. There are other special %’s for certain stores…not sure if that is Signature Black cards only or if it is all Cabelas cards.

Yep, just this morning booked my vacation to Colorado next month on this card and got 2%-4% back on air fare, hotel and rental car. It really adds up over a year, usually $750-$1,200 in free gear at Cabelas.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I roll with this one also

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.