Heater question

• rwmcvean

I’m buying a new heater for my Otter Lodge (3 person, insulated roof only, works for us because of the bench seat that accomodates two little squirmy boys ) What options are out there that when accidentally brushed by the 3 year old, won’t land him in the ICU with 3rd degree burns (the 5 year old melted his jacket on my brothers heater last week).

Randy

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would recommend a big buddy heater, i have had my mine for 4.5 years and like it.

shockers
    Rochester

X 2. I like mine and have the same situation – squirmy kids.

Check out Fleet Farm etc….you can usually get a Big Buddy on sale for $100.

rwmcvean

Maybe I should put seatbelts in my otter?

Palerider77

yep, we have the smaller buddy heater and it keeps a 2 seat uninsulated clam warm enough

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Definitely the buddy heater

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He’s going to look great on a line with Parise and Koivu. His numbers might go up slightly. Look for about 15-20 goals from him this year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Go with the Buddy Heater. I got the Little Buddy Mr Heater for my one man and it is just perfect. The only issue I have is you have to hold the on button for 30 seconds so the propane can fill the element. A finger gets pretty darn numb in 30 seconds!

big_g
    Isle, MN

He said he does not want to melt another kid or jacket…

ICFISH
    St Michael, MN

I have had the Mr. Heater cooker for over 10 years. I little to hot for my Otter Cabin, plus I have had to replace two snow suits for the grandkids. I use the reg Buddy and it works so much better and quiet.

BBKK
    IA

If the kid rubs up against a buddy heater, he is getting burnt. A heater is a heater and if you rub into it, you are getting lit up. I’ve lit myself up with a buddy heater before, left it lit and spun around to get something out of the sled, burnt the corner of my jacket.

There is no burn proof heater for ice fishing, you just have to work extra hard to teach them to stay away from it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Bullshi7….. a heater is not a heater when it comes to burning a jacket or skin or your house itself….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If that becomes a problem for me I will get the BB. I have yet to use it or my new Otter. I have used a tiny sunflower for years and never burnt anything but I can see where the sunflower referenced could easily be a problem.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah I did forget to mention that I did burn my hand on the grate the other day. But that grate does a great job of protecting me from the flame. Pun intended.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t think there is one made that will prevent kids from burning cloths. If someone finds one let me know because my child has found a way to do so on every model I and all my friends have ever used.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Well if you take a buddy heater and build a box about 6″ bigger around than it & 10″ higher, put it in the box, then chicken wire on top of it, it keeps everybody from getting burned. I seen this done and it was pretty cool Warm to the touch, but won’t burn you unless you sit on it for a minute or so

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Well if you take a buddy heater and build a box about 6″ bigger around than it & 10″ higher, put it in the box, then chicken wire on top of it, it keeps everybody from getting burned. I seen this done and it was pretty cool Warm to the touch, but won’t burn you unless you sit on it for a minute or so

Sweet. That wont eat up much space in the ole shack..

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

You put a wood box 6″ in front of a buddy heater and it does not catch on fire? I guess if you build a big enough box around any heater that would work – But them again I’d like some room in the house to cut holes to fish or to sitdown

big_g
    Isle, MN

No I did not a friend did this and it has not started on fire …yet 90% of the heat comes out of the top of a Buddy He had it in a 4 x 8 perm not a flipover, but no way was his kids gonna get burned

(this was a Buddy, not the Big Buddy)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.