Poor Service

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

I recently had some basic work done on my motors at a local shop near me, when I picked up the boat I did a quick walk around and found a few things that didn’t meet my satisfaction.
    Before I left the lot I went inside and explained my questions and a gentleman came out and we proceeded to note the items I wanted done. After about a 1/2 hour in the parking lot I was on my way not totally satisfied with the work but confident it was correct now.
    Next day I called the shop and spoke with the service Mgr. I calmly explained the situation and how I wasn’t good with the work not being done correctly and also paying a premium price for mechanic work when a guy from the parts counter came out and finished the job. His response was sorry bout that…we’ll bring up the problem at our next meeting, end of phone call.
    I didn’t ask for compensation or money back, I did ask if he thought it was fair that I paid a premium for service and didn’t get it, no answer, just hmmm.
    I’ve already decided from one experience never to go back to that shop and I made myself clear to him on that, just curious on others reactions, would you press the situation further to the owner to make certain the problem really was discussed so it doesn’t happen again, or just consider it a lesson learned and move on?
    The thing that really bums me out is this shop is close to me, and has everything I need in the future for supplies. True to my word though I refuse to spend another penny there just from 1 bad experience.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

It’s hard not to wonder who you are dealing with….

Sometimes it’s easier to take your licks, toss some new tools into the toolbox when dealing with “tools” and walk away. Other times if the peeps you are dealing with appear to be reasonable it’s enjoyable to go after what you feel you deserve.

Life’s short. It’s tough to take up every battle.

Good luck and I hope you can deal with this and put it to rest. Not fun!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s two types of people.

The ones that have never been there and the ones that won’t go back.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Quote:

It’s hard not to wonder who you are dealing with….

Sometimes it’s easier to take your licks, toss some new tools into the toolbox when dealing with “tools” and walk away. Other times if the peeps you are dealing with appear to be reasonable it’s enjoyable to go after what you feel you deserve.

Life’s short. It’s tough to take up every battle.

Good luck and I hope you can deal with this and put it to rest. Not fun!

I would go back at them and get as much back as possible, and when YOU are satisfied then tell them to take a hike! I despise crappy service!

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

I recently had some basic work done on my motors at a local shop near me, when I picked up the boat I did a quick walk around and found a few things that didn’t meet my satisfaction.
    Before I left the lot I went inside and explained my questions and a gentleman came out and we proceeded to note the items I wanted done. After about a 1/2 hour in the parking lot I was on my way not totally satisfied with the work but confident it was correct now.
    Next day I called the shop and spoke with the service Mgr. I calmly explained the situation and how I wasn’t good with the work not being done correctly and also paying a premium price for mechanic work when a guy from the parts counter came out and finished the job. His response was sorry bout that…we’ll bring up the problem at our next meeting, end of phone call.
    I didn’t ask for compensation or money back, I did ask if he thought it was fair that I paid a premium for service and didn’t get it, no answer, just hmmm.
    I’ve already decided from one experience never to go back to that shop and I made myself clear to him on that, just curious on others reactions, would you press the situation further to the owner to make certain the problem really was discussed so it doesn’t happen again, or just consider it a lesson learned and move on?
    The thing that really bums me out is this shop is close to me, and has everything I need in the future for supplies. True to my word though I refuse to spend another penny there just from 1 bad experience.

I have a bad experience myself. I was having issues with the lower unit on the Merc on my old boat, took it in for service and for three weeks got the run around on its completion. Finally went to the shop, saw my boat in the yard uncovered went around to the motor and the cavitation plate was all busted off! Turns out the ” mechanic ” couldn’t get the gear housing to fall and beat on it with a hammer. Never looked to see if there was a bolt missed when it wouldn’t come off. Hooked it up to the truck told the manager I was not paying him a dime, called my lawyer and had the lower unit replaced else where. There was no fixing it after the first place had it. The original shop ended up eating the cost from the shop that actually fixed it thanks to my lawyer. NEVER going back no matter what!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Nothing worse then having your concerns ignored. Most likely this place begged for your business in the first place so it’s hard to understand how they would let you walk like that.

That said you made a mistake. Never tell a shop you will never return there. That erases all the reasons for them to make you happy. As long as they think they can salvage the relationship you have a chance of them finishing the job. Once you stated you would never return they had no reason to make you happy. This is especially true if they believed you.

The damage is done. No sense talking to them about anything again.

Daddy always said…………”Never burn a bridge you may have to cross again.”

smoke grub

it seems as though, most of these shops have not heard of something called the internet. its not like, going back to your house and complaining to a neighbor who probably doesn’t fish or even going to your local fishing club.. now, within minutes you have told 40, 50 100 guys. all of whom may have been potential customers , who probably now, won’t even try to go to that service location. I just wish that the internet was available 30 years ago. cuz there were a couple of places that had me by the short stuff, with no other place to turn. I would bet that their story and their attitudes would change immediately if I posted here on the internet and 100 guys said, Hey. I AM NOT GOING THERE ..

some one should clue this shop owner into the fact , that YES,, others are reading this post.. and Yes, they are NOT COMING TO HIS SHOP.. possibly ever..

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

it seems as though, most of these shops have not heard of something called the internet. its not like, going back to your house and complaining to a neighbor who probably doesn’t fish or even going to your local fishing club.. now, within minutes you have told 40, 50 100 guys. all of whom may have been potential customers , who probably now, won’t even try to go to that service location. I just wish that the internet was available 30 years ago. cuz there were a couple of places that had me by the short stuff, with no other place to turn. I would bet that their story and their attitudes would change immediately if I posted here on the internet and 100 guys said, Hey. I AM NOT GOING THERE ..

some one should clue this shop owner into the fact , that YES,, others are reading this post.. and Yes, they are NOT COMING TO HIS SHOP.. possibly ever..

Hard not to go to or be cautious of a shop when you don’t know which one it is.

Al

big_g
    Isle, MN

If this is standard operating procedure, they will take themselves out of business. How long have they been around ? I will be the first to admit, stuff happens. When it does, all you can do is try to do right in the end. Give someone a little more than they have coming and they might keep coming back Giving the store away to an admitted unsatisfied customer, makes very little good business sense also. In the end, the poor service will weed itself out

chubby
    Bloomington

What part of town are we talking about? At least give us a clue, you would not want people to think its someone its not would you.

The internet does have great power, but only when it is used properly. This post is currently only breeding speculation and conjecture.

If you do not have the stones to say whats really on your mind it is probably best not said!

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Hmmm let me see???
    North of town?? Maybe 3 miles?
    On the right???
    Just guessing here???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There reputation proceeds them.

mojogunter

He is from Hastings

Quote:

What part of town are we talking about? At least give us a clue, you would not want people to think its someone its not would you.

The internet does have great power, but only when it is used properly. This post is currently only breeding speculation and conjecture.

If you do not have the stones to say whats really on your mind it is probably best not said!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

I own a business in Hastings and have had situations where the customer is less than completely satisfied. Sometimes our fault, sometimes not. Like Big G said somethings things happen. That being said we will go out of our way to make the customer completely satisfied if it is something we did wrong, because if people have a good or bad experience, word of mouth and the internet can make or break a business in a short time. We had one experience where this person was almost impossible to satisfy. Instead of making $200-300 on the job we lost almost $500 in an attempt to make her happy. She even tried to blame us for breaking and wanting us to repace her $400 key fob, which we didn’t because we didn’t break it.

Drifter 295, I know the business you are talking about and I will not go back there either. I got rearended into my boat motor about 7 years ago and took it there for repairs. I told them to make sure they checked and replced the prop shaft if it was bent. When I got it back all they did was replace the prop. They couldn’t have even checked the prop shaft. When I got home I spun the prop by hand and it ran out horribly.I put a dial indicator on it and the shaft was bent more than 1/32 of an inch. I called them up, chewed them out and took the boat back and demanded that they change the prop shaft. So that did it for me for ever going back there for service.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Who are we talking about here?

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like they are on 61 and sell MARINE and SPORTS equipment….

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I can understand your frustration, no one likes poor service.

I don’t think some buisnesses in tha area are getting a fair shake out of this because of your refusing to name the business in question.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I don’t think so Jeff.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Naming and slandering a business might not be the way to go either. We must remember we are hearing one side of the story from the customers perspective. The dealer in question may or may not see things the same way.

I’m sure if anybody needs to know a quick PM might do it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looks like 5 or 6 people with same perspective. Good enough for me. Besides nobody has actaully named any businesses.

And even if they do that’s the benefit of our small community on IDO. Why should we fear identifying issues that help us all? Considering the examples I see above I say it would be irresponsible not to share here if you are an active member of IDO.

big_g
    Isle, MN

It sounds as if an employee of the business (parts guy) did the right thing and got things right. Not the correct way business should be done, but hey… KUDOS to the parts dude Remember, he works there and is relying on the business to feed his family Shame on the Service Mgr for not taking a lesson from the visit, maybe a call to the owner helps

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

“Read between the lines”

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

With all the complaining about politicians beating around the bush. “See Political Junkies” Who would think that being open about naming the buisness would be so difficult here.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its been named repeatedly in a tactful manner. If you dont see it then they are probably too far away from you to worry about.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

“Read between the lines”

or simply read the CAPS words…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.