Natural Hair Jigs

• tbrooks11

Hello guys, I have a buddy thats starting to make his own jigs and get a little business going (soph. in hs, so not much of one) and he is trying to figure out what kinda hair would work on jigs? He uses deer tail, but thats about it. I got a raccoon for him to try, any other suggestions?

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I’ve used coyote, skunk, and a number of synthetics but the industry standard (and the best material) is buck tail. The reason is that the hair on a deer is hollow. This is to trap air to help keep them warm, but it also gives the hair a good deal of action underwater and the hair length helps in both tying and matching minnow size.

Have him use a hair stacker and combine contrasting colors as well as add in some strands of UV or Mylar.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I used to sell squirrel tails to mepps so I am assuming that’s what they were using them for. Also easy to get, even in town.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I prefer deer tails for good action, slow fall, and the ability tie longer hair jigs to simulate bigger forage like shad. My fall jigs can be up to 5″ long.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have built jigs for 10 or better years, I will say to keep the jigs cost effective for resale,the cost affordable and most of all keep your profits up use bucktails or synthetic hairs.

When doing personal jigs bear hair is a great hair to use,but not cheap and can be hard to find.

you can PM me with any questions on products or future sale info issues.

Thanks Jeff

tbrooks11

Great guys, thank you so much for the help and recommendations! I actually live out in the country, so i can get squirrels, coons, and if im lucky in the next couple of weeks some buck tails

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Crappies also like kiptails…

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Dog hair, cat hair, and when she’s not looking…the fw’s hair.

Just kidding…or am I?

I hope she doesn’t read this.

Art

I’m 62, got false teeth. Live outside Chatfield,Mn. Had all my neighbors save buck tails for me. Read articlus on bleaching them so you could dye them them the color you want. Talked to localal barber about where to buy hair dye and he gave me a place in Rochester to check. Broke my upper plate and went in there and asked for pink and green hair dye. The girl said you,r f me. 62 and no teeth?? Found out the dye they had washes out in water. Anybody know where to get dye that doesn’t wash?

seeds
    SE WI

I tie them for my own use,a friend ties them for sale.

Like said before,bucktail and synthetic is the standard. I don’t care for the synthetic as it’s not as durable.

Also,natural colors aren’t big sellers. Well,the white is good but as an accent to chartreuse or pink or purple or orange or…And one shade of purple can be vastly superior to another close shade of purple. I’m still hoarding several tails in a particular shade and I wouldn’t admit that online if that friend had a computer. He thinks I’m down to my last tail. “That” purple hasn’t been avaiable for several years,and there’s dozens of people looking. It’s also a hot color for walleye and whitebass streamers.

Just so limited with white,brown,black and grey…Squirell tail hair is too thin but fine for treble hook dressing on spinners,or panfish flies. Skunk,I’d guess is also too thin, Groundhog,too short and too coarse. Dog,cat and people have been experimented with,trust me on that.

Bucktail. To compete with other tyers he’d have to buy tails online…If he’s fast and good,he can eventually hope to break minimum wage….The jigs have to come from somewhere – I pour and paint my own current-cutter style – but there’s time and cost there too.

There’s some decent bucktail jigs for sale online for $1.50 ea. I think there might be some poorer quality ones for around $1. How can anyone compete with that and still make money?

One other thing:I was told years ago by an oldtimer who sold handmade lures most of his life that with bucktail jigs,more hair for jigs for sale,less for personal use. I’ve found it to be true. Sparse jigs catch more fish but it seems people would rather buy jigs with more hair. They feel they’re getting their money’s worth.

I would not sell my own bucktil jigs for less than $6 each. They are very high quality,and I don’t think I’d “break even” at $6,counting my time. I occasionally give some away…

Hot pink and lavender,white and lavender,orange and chartreuse,white and chart….

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I’m 62, got false teeth. Live outside Chatfield,Mn. Had all my neighbors save buck tails for me. Read articlus on bleaching them so you could dye them them the color you want. Talked to localal barber about where to buy hair dye and he gave me a place in Rochester to check. Broke my upper plate and went in there and asked for pink and green hair dye. The girl said you,r f me. 62 and no teeth?? Found out the dye they had washes out in water. Anybody know where to get dye that doesn’t wash?

Rit Dye works great, is cheap, follow the instructions on the box…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I got a mess of squirrels this weekend and I hate throwing their tails away, so I kept them in a freezer bag. I might try and use them for tying my own buck-err-squirrel tail jigs. Although, it is deer season and I’m sure I’ll have a buck tail in the freezer, along with his head.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.