Yeti coolers ???

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

What does a $319 Yeti cooler do that my $60-$80 Igloo can’t, other than carry the name Yeti ???

bigpike

Looks like they are geared towards outfitters spending time in the wilderness, either for hauling there game out or keeping frozen meats cold.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Keep meat and ice frozen for about 4 days in 80 degree heat.

Your igloo can make it for about 12 hours.

Dog

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

They are wildly strong. Keep ice longer.

Over $300 for a cooler seems a little steep but they do look nice.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Did you see many when you where down south out on the ocean. Maybe its worth the money if you need to keep fish cold for long days out on the gulf in the heat.

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

What does a $319 Yeti cooler do that my $60-$80 Igloo can’t, other than carry the name Yeti ???

Thank you Jesse! I get a kick out of those commercials when they say, “Don’t worry, it’s a yeti.” We don’t care!!! It’s a $370.00 overpriced media blitz. A cooler is a cooler, unless you have money to burn. Nice to hear the voice of sanity once in a while.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I think the overpriced part may not be accurate. I know the overhyped part is not accurate. For the average man like you and I…..no there is no need for a cooler like that with that price tag. However for an outfitter who is 6-10 days away from civilization or even base camp (with power) a cooler that keeps things cold for extremely long periods of time (and can take the abuse of horse pack trips) is worth evey penny.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They are ugly too.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

They work as advertised….

I am not sure what price you put on keeping your stuff cold for extended periods.

If you need to keep it cold for almost a week – without adding more ice – Yeti.

If you can go to the Holiday store and buy another bag of $1 ice, might not be for you…

Dog

pbitschura

Pay the extra cost for dry ice when you need it and save your money.

Fishhound

I got one as a gift. Great cooler. Keeps ice well. With the rubber locks it’s not easy to get in and out of. Other coolers are easier to use when/if you’re just trying to reach for a cold pop when in the boat fishing.

Big reason I like it is that you can stand on it and use it as a casting platform. When I slide it up against my existing platform it almost doubles my fishing area. It has a non skid base so it’s perfect. I’m a pretty big guy and it handles my weight. An Igloo wont do that.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Well I will be that guy and say they are worth it. My dad and I each have one for the boat(35q). Since we dont keep our carpet in the boats with the yeti it doesn’t not slide around. I have actually had bottles of water form slush they keep things so cold. Also instead of 2 bags of ice a day I use one and even once the ice melts the water keeps things cold. I use the cooler 3 sometime 4 days a week from May-Sept and I have saved a lot on ice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

5 months = 20 weeks x 4 days=80 days

80 bags of ice @ $1.69= $135.20 + tax

McDonalds has ice for $1. a bag.

This makes sense if there’s access to ice.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Also, you never know when a grizzly is going to attck your cooler in Minnesota. That’s right, they are grizzly proof!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Also, you never know when a grizzly is going to attck your cooler in Minnesota. That’s right, they are grizzly proof!

And if you get the really big one you can club inside during inclement weather… they make awesome tornado shelters!

timmy

I have a real issue with dropping that kind of coin on a cooler when ice is cheap and the odds of it ‘walking away’ would be pretty high. On camping trips, in the truck, or on the deck of some cabin at a resort….I just think a 300-400 dollar cooler would be a prime item for some dirtball to take. A $30 igloo is not a prime theft target…..

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

How about “The Griz”? Will it keep him out?

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

They are ugly too.

Just like the guy that started this post!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

The only thing that a Yeti does is weigh about 50% more for the same volume. Somebody on the thread mentione outfitters using them for hors pack trips. Unless Yeti makes a six pack model, I’m doubting it. I’ve never seen one that a horse could carry when loaded, they’re too damn big.

The marine-grade Igloo coolers have withstood the test of time. They keep ice, they’re tough, and they don’t cost >$400.

As somone else said, pay for dry ice when you really need extended cold storage.

Also, there are lots of other tricks to the outfitter trade. Freeze everything that goes in the cooler before the trip. Meat, bottled water, and even cans of beer can be frozen. Ice keeps a lot longer in a cooler that’s full of nothing but frozen stuff.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

A $30 igloo is not a prime theft target….

Depends on what brand of beer is in it. Just sayn.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Quote:

They are ugly too.

Just like the guy that started this post!

Hey wait a minute

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Keep meat and ice frozen for about 4 days in 80 degree heat.

Your igloo can make it for about 12 hours.

Dog

My Igloo will make it 2 maybe 3 days, I got a good one

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I will say that if I had a need for one and the jing, I would get one. But 1 or 2 camping trips a year might mean it will take a while to pay for itself.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.