Lifetime trailer registration

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I bought a homebuilt trailer with a lifetime sticker and a 4×6 title (?) card. Do I need to re-register this/will it transfer? I kinda don’t want to pay more and the DMV website isn’t very helpful.

starvin pilgrim

If it’s home built,just scrape the old tag off and tell them you built it your self. They will ask you how much you spent to build it and tell them, I don’t know, a couple hundred bucks. It will cost you about $100, about the same as a transfer, but it will take less time. That,s how I did it with a pop up camper that I helped a friend turn into a fish house. The people at the license bureau are used to home made trailers.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I must have read this wrong… I see it HAS a lifetime license and he has the title card …. I say you will need to pay tax on purchase price, to transfer title. $100 for the trailer is like $7… and a transfer fee… Why would you scrape off a lifetime license and start over, more $$$ ???

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree with G here. Just go in and transfer ownership. That tag is good forever.

-J.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

So for the record, if you buy a trailer with a lifetime sticker it costs 6.5% sales tax + $13 to transfer. If you need a new sticker it is $2.50 if you do it at the time of the transfer, or $12 anytime later.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.