Canada

• Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

Heading to Sioux Lookout area Friday. Is it recommended to take birth certificates as well as passports?

tomr
    Participant
    cottage grove, mn

passports should be all you need. Heading to Flin Flon on Friday also. Good luck

trapsht
    Participant
    Rockford, Il

All you need is a passport. There’s a lot of info about entry into Canada in prior posts that you can read. Good Luck.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

The fact you are at the border proves you were born… Have fun !!!

dgilgen
    Participant
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I always bring my birth certificate as well as my passport. I have never been questioned but, just in case there’s ever a problem, I have my bases covered.
    On another note, If you’ve fished Abram Lake and Lake Minnitaki previous years; your normal fishing spots will probably not produce as well this year as in the past. The ice went out VERY early this year so, areas like The Donut, English River Reserve, Rice River Reserve, etc are pointless. The fish have moved out of these areas into the larger portions of the lakes. I was advised by Northern Sunrise Outfitters that an early September trip up would be a better option than June this year. Thought you should know… Either way, it’s still a tremendous fishery and you will catch fish, just not in the normal springtime haunts. Have fun, stay safe, and please, if you would, fill the rest of us in on your findings…
    Thanks

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Your use of the plural “passports” suggests that there is a group involved.

If they are all adults over the age of 18, then passports are all you need.

If there are children in your group, there may be other requirements depending on if both parents are traveling together or not.

Grouse

stuwest
    Participant
    Elmwood, WI

if there is a child in the group, i.e. under 18, then it’s wise to carry a letter from the non-attending spouse allowing the crossing. i learned this one the hard way. 6 hour wait while we contacted my then wife. daughter was 5yo at the time. lotsa people go to canada during custody battles.

Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

Everybody is over 18, so passports should be all we need. We stay on Abram Lake at Northumbrian Resort. Usually fish the Donut, the Chute, Frog Rapids, Hidden Lake up off Botsford. Any main lake areas you would recommend?

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

If you’re driving up, put a post it note on the steering wheel the night before: PASSPORTS.

Ask everyone in your party to show you their passport before you leave town. Don’t ask me how I know that this is a good idea.

Grouse

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The passports are only form to get back into the USA. Crossing into canada multiple times a year, we use the passports but typically you can get into Canada with just a drivers license and birth certificate, but then you are pretty much stuck in canada. The passport is what is required to gain access back into the US.
    I have crossed at Fort Frances showing my RABC (remote area border pass) and Drivers License and then actually got back into the US with the same form/DL as they check your passport when getting this form. This was a spur of the moment crossing while in IFalls any planned trip I would use the passport.

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

If you’ve fished Abram Lake and Lake Minnitaki previous years; your normal fishing spots will probably not produce as well this year as in the past. The ice went out VERY early this year so, areas like The Donut, English River Reserve, Rice River Reserve, etc are pointless. The fish have moved out of these areas into the larger portions of the lakes. I was advised by Northern Sunrise Outfitters that an early September trip up would be a better option than June this year.

Since when have you been able to fish those areas before June 16th? How would anybody know the fish are already gone? Your not even allowed to be in those areas before the 16th. Those fish in September are way tougher to catch than June. You’ll be fishing 30-50fow as apposed to 3-25fow September would be my last choice to fish Minnitaki.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.