Anyone ever lived in Hawaii

• TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

Just starting to do some research about relocating, and wondering if anyone has any information, jobs, places to live etc. Still have over a year before it would actually happen. Thanks in advance.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Best be independantly wealthy. When were were ther last January whole milk was $9.00 gallon, down from $14.00 during the Christmas period. Butter was $5.00/pound. White bread was like $4.50 a loaf. It is by far cheaper to eat in restaraunts than it is to try and cook meals. We ate at all-you-can-eat buffets for 8 bucks a head that were full of shrimp dishes and crab legs. We found an old chinese grill that charged 5.50 for a two entree meal and drink that had so much food on the plate I could not eat it all. Take home box time there and I called it breakfast.

Nice to visit. Way too spendy to live there for this old boy. I had to take a second dose of heart meds to the beach each day too so factor those in if you take them.

palolo

Troy which island are you relocating to?

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have never been, but i have a friend who lived on the west cost and had many kids recruited to Hawaii. He said often they are back after a year or two. He called it island fever. They have a tough time being “stuck” on an island.
    Hard to know if this is common or not? In his experience it was.
    Good luck it sounds like a interesting adventure!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have a friend that moved there 18 years ago and he loves it there. There are not very many non tourism jobs there but he found one taking troubled youths sailing and has done it for a long time now. Everything does cost a lot there but they don’t have any heating bills to speak of…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Had a few Army buddies stationed there.
    They hated it. After 1 year, they all couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
    You are more/less trapped on a 7 mile isle, no where to go.
    Just imagined being trapped in Minneapolis? Yea, there is stuff to see, but it cost money.
    Also, the locals (natives) do NOT like the Americans. We invaded that island and took over their lives. They still do not like it.
    My nephew just did some college there and he too, didn’t like it. Very difficult for him to find a regular “job” that didn’t involve tourism.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Please don’t group all the locals into one bunch. I was there in The Navy and meet many cool local (native to the Island) people. I know all to well that there is some that do not like the mainland people coming there, one of my shipmates was beaten almost to death literally by a gang of native resident young men but I still cannot group them all together. It is like anywhere else there is good and bad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.