motor in gear during trailering????

• whittsend

Do you guys put your motor in gear during trailering??

I know some do it to prevent prop spin, but is there any real reason why a spinning prop is harmful during trailering???

Thanks!

herb
    6ft under

Wind and sun can dry things out down there, better to be safe than sorry. Besides, imagine a Honda towing a Honda with a spinning prop. Is it pushing or pulling?

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Maybe I have been lucky but I have never put mine in gear while towing.

Been towing boats for 40 years.

the_grump
    Le Center

A prop spinning on a 500 mile trip is like going a quarter mile across the lake.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I have heard from the elders taht a spinning prop is better to apoint because a kicked up rock on the drive bounces off the prop without much damage, but a prop in gear not spining can take some serious dings. I have always had mine spinning. but that is what I have heard for a no gear reason.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Have never had my motor in gear on purpose….never really thought about it. I would think a spinning prop would be better for the above mentioned reasons. But then again, I usually tow my boat about 60-70 miles round trip when I’m fishing around here.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

The purpose of keeping your engine in gear is to prevent excessive bearing wear as you are traveling down the road.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Can be tough on the prop shaft seals on long trips. Dry seals on a rotating shaft then throw a little gravel dust In the mix equals no good.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

If the motor is in gear, it is also free to bounce when you hit bumps unless you tie it. Then you have wear on the transom???

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you have a prop spinner rig when driving, a small bungie can handle that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.