good river anchors?

• katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

recently upgraded from a 16ft flatbottom to a 1650 lund tyee and i like to do alot of river fishin for cats and wondering what kind and size of an anchor would be best for this situation?

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i would say the water spike is the best ancor ever made. i’m sure every1 else will agree and tell u the rite way 2 rig it up. just don’t use a clamp/clasp that doesn’t lock or close permanently to attach the ancor 2 your line….i lost a water spike this way. and don’t put cheap rope on a nice ancor like this either

sandmannd

Rictor anchor is by far the best river anchor I’ve used. 3′ of chain between the anchor and the rope. Holds ya in anything.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

i would say the water spike is the best ancor ever made. i’m sure every1 else will agree and tell u the rite way 2 rig it up. just don’t use a clamp/clasp that doesn’t lock or close permanently to attach the ancor 2 your line….i lost a water spike this way. and don’t put cheap rope on a nice ancor like this either

I second that about the Water Spike and the other advice too. I have one laying upstream of a wing dam. I went right out and bought another one.

shefland
    Walker

have someone or your self make a anchor, a piece of round steel, a couple of pieces of flat iron, and a eye for your chain to connet to, bend the flat iron up a bit, when you get hung up on something, simply cleat up your rope, power up, you usually ben d the flat iron and come free, then stick it under something and bend it back, this is what 90 percent of the red river anglers up at lockport, manitoba use, all I use now after losing a few anchors myself.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Rictor anchor is by far the best river anchor I’ve used. 3′ of chain between the anchor and the rope. Holds ya in anything.

28 lb Richter gets my vote. water spikes are good, but they are not as heavy, take longer to get down and need more rope to hook up and hold, whichs adds to boat sway and the need to have a ton of rope out in the heavy current. I had a water spike, got rid of it.

Jami

mypearl

the ONLY anchor to get is a Rocna!

http://www.rocna.com/
    http://www.rocna.com/product-range/sizing-guides/

I got the 6 lb and my boat will NOT move. I have a 16 foot alumacraft. I tested it out in FL, just got back actually. it digs in and sets in like 3 feet! the harder you pull on it, the deeper it sets, comes right out too. I got mine at the Miami Boat show and shipped it home. There expensive, but its the last anchor you’ll ever own!

big_g
    Isle, MN

That Rocna looks great for sand/muck, but I think it would become part of the rock structure where I primarily fish

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

i had a richter, and it worked great, until the MN river decided to not give it back one night…

I replaced it with a water spike, and it has worked just as well, and even better on the mud on Mille Lacs.

whichever you go with, make sure to use a quality rope, i prefer dock line, it is expensive, but nice on the hands.

use 3-4 ft of galvanized chain (i think i used 3/8).

tie the rope directly to the chain, or a clevis, DO NOT use any quick connects. using an anchor hitch knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/anchor/index.php

I also always wrap the knot and loose tag of rope in duct tape, it will help prevent it from ever coming loose.

get 150ft of line, and add a flot to the end of the line, just in case you have to let the rope go, or it comes loose from the boat, you can easily find your anchor line again.

they have these at fleet farm for like 3 or 4 bucks.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I use many different ones but have a few favorites.

The Digger anchoe does a great job and is maybe the best made anchor out there.

I have a couple richtor anchors with 3ft of chain and 200ft of rope. It’s nice to let out twice the rope as the depth of water to make sure one holds.

I have one richtor anchor with a brake rotor from a 3/4 ton pick up that will never let go but it is a beast to lift back up.

The float on the end of the line or close is a great idea as I have lost 2 anchor set ups due to not getting it tied of in time and I could not hold the rope in the fast current on the Mn river in the spring. Once you let go, say goodbye to that set up as the rope always seems to sink down a bit and the current keeps it there. Even tried casting plugs with large treble’s to try and hook the rope under water. No luck there.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I use the Richter anchor on the river because it seems to hold better for my boat (full windshield aka wind sail) and you can use less rope which is great in spots where there are other boats and you don’t have the space to let out 100 ft of rope for your anchor to catch. I see you mentioned cat fishing so boat traffic may not be an issue for you.

kroger3
    blaine mn

digger spike anchor, 3′ coated chain, and 200′ of good rope on hand. if its windy add a “drop-n-stay” if you cant hold a spot with this then the weather is to bad to be out! Also I keep a knife in the bow of my boat, sounds dumb but being able to quickly cut a rope has saved me before! especially now that you have a heavier boat!

pbitschura

Water spikes are currently on sale in the Cabela’s online catalog. Just ordered one.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

lovin all the info guys its alot easier spending that kind of money on an anchor when it has positive feedback from the people who actually use them.

now with the 28 lb riktor has anybody ever had to double anchor or does one hold you good enough i will mainly have it on the st croix so some of my spots are heavy current and sand or mud

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

that’s where the water spike shines…it digs in reel deep!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.