Headed to the Big Pond

• neckdeep

I am planning a trip to Mille Lacs in June 2011, dates available for the rental i am looking at are anywhere from after Memorial Day to June 17, or the week of June 25 to July 2. For all you Mille lacs regulars what would be the best time for a consistent bite for walleye(weather pending of course), i like to rig but not afraid to troll open water, mainly wanting to show the family a good time, they have never been to minnesota, i haven’t been since i was a kid. I will be bringing my new Yar-Craft 219, so we should be able to fish anywhere on the lake, staying on the west side by Garrison.

thank you in advance
    Gale Johnson

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Really can’t go wrong with any of your date options but I would chose dates between 6/1 to 6/17. Good rigging going and the open water trolling will be starting into full swing. The fish will be recovered from the spawn and on the chew. With your boat i would also recommend spending the $10 and launching out of Terry’s Boat Harbor on the west side or Red Door Resort if launching on the north side. Both are good ramps with sufficient deep water for glass boats. Good luck and have fun!!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’d say shoot for the Memorial Day Weekend or the 1st weekend in June… IMO the first 4 weeks of the year are the best time of the year to put numbers of fish in the boat as they’re still primarly concentrated in shallow and looking to feed. This is also as good as it gets for bringing friends and family who don’t fish very often as the morning/evening slip bobber bite is in full swing.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

You will catch fish in both time frames. I would go earlier though if given the choice. If you have a young family that wants to swim too, then maybe later would be better for all around fun.

neckdeep

thank for the suggestions, i went ahead and booked the first ten days of June, i am very excited cant wait to get there, what kind of equipment do i need for bobber fishing, i pretty much have everything else, what kind of anchor will it take to hold a 21 foot glass boat

thank you
    Gale Johnson

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I use this style with 2′ of chain attached ahead of the rope and it holds my 20′ glass boat preety good in a wind.Use more rope on windy days helps too.

neckdeep

i used to have one of those, it was my favorite anchor, i know right where it is, does anyone have scuba gear?

big_g
    Isle, MN

For all purpose on Mille Lacs (rocks, sand, mud) get one of these. Easier to get out of the rocks (boulders) if its in a tight spot… hate to see you need scuba gear again

neckdeep

i got one like that, i am going to bring one like this also

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

For all purpose on Mille Lacs (rocks, sand, mud) get one of these. Easier to get out of the rocks (boulders) if its in a tight spot… hate to see you need scuba gear again

I agree on the waterspike. Great anchor. Add a drop-n-stay and it will hold a 21′ boat in any conditions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.