Mille Lacs Report 1/7-1/9

• tbrooks11

I dont even know where to start, what a great getaway! A few buddies and I got sick of fishing around the Rochester area for some 6 inch crappies, so we looked around online for a great deal, and i am so glad we stumbled upon Portavilla out of mille lacs. The price is dirt cheap, they have new shacks, and they are put in spots where the big girls are found.

We ended up catching 14 fish with 10 of them being over 20 inches. The action wasnt the most consistant, but we had plenty more bites.. just had some rookies attempting to pull them in! We fished in about 34 fow out on a mud hump. We caught more fish in the dead of night than we did any other time of the day. the first night most fish were caught from 8-11 pm whereas the next night most of the fish were caught from 12-4 am. We would mark fish on the flasher during the day, just wouldnt take the minnow.

Our by far most successful set up was a plain red hook, a few split shots a foot or two up. We only used fatheads. We caught the first couple of fish on the blue/silver foil lightening spoon, but nothing on spoons after that. The spoons did seem to draw the fish in and give the other set up a better chance. We had a lot of fish in the lower 20s, biggest was 26 (thats me in the black sweatshirt). All fish were nice and plump except that one. Also should give a shout out to Dom for catching his first ever walleye (picture of the kiss).

Also to mention, we stopped by the Toucan bar at the Fishermans Wharf resort, and man.. they had some pathetic customer service. I would avoid that resort if at all possible.

Bill and Brad, if you see this, i couldnt thank you enough for the past few days. It was a phenomenal time and you will definitely be seeing us every winter from here on out!!

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

Sounds like a blast!! Nice fish also!

tbrooks11

If anyone has any questions just let me know and i will try to help ya out!

hazencm22
    Eau Claire, WI

I need friends like that!

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Great to hear we are going up there in 10 days. We will have 4 of us. Sounds like the accommodations were good. Did everyone have enough room?

tbrooks11

yeah there was a good enough amount of room, when we put a table up for some cards it got pretty tight. But you shouldnt have any problems at all

tbrooks11

Also, a guy I was talking too was saying that he fished off of stony on mille lacs. Is stony a point/town/reef?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.