where to find the update?

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

So with all the issues that are out there with the netting, I am not for it at all, where does the dnr post what the running total is?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

the mndnr is about as far away as they can be from mille lacs during the netting. if you want the numbers, just ask the natives, that is who the dnr asks.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

So with all the issues that are out there with the netting, I am not for it at all, where does the dnr post what the running total is?

As cousin Tom says…the MN. DNR does no counting. They only get daily reports from GLIFWC/MLB. They tell me “we have to believe them”.

I would guess the totals are approaching 80,000lb. or more of walleye. As of this past Monday, it was about 72,000lbs. of walleye and the netting pressure has been down this past week on the east side. The north end and NW side has been netted all week though.

I was told this week by the Aitkin office that northern harvest quota numbers ( about 9000 lbs. as of this past Monday of a quota of 15,000 lbs) has no mortality numbers/pounds added to it. (The rules say they can release fish if they look to be alive and are alive enough to survive–but the rules also say a 35 percent mortality rate from the gill-nets is to be figured into the quota numbers IF THE WATER IS OVER 50 DEGREES)So–obviously, the netters never are accountable to mortality of northerns etc. since the water is always cooler than 50 degrees. Amazing? LOL And even if it was that warm, the MN. DNR believes or allows that 65 percent survive from a gill-net. Amazing? LOL So–NONE of the floaters we see get accounted for. (I and a neighbor watched 11 northerns released from one net the other day–and most nets have at least one or two northerns in them–times more than 100 nets in the lake many days ( for weeks) at an average of 5 lbs. or more per fish) But with water temps below 50, there is ZERO reporting of these “released” northerns to anyone.

65 percent survival from a gill-net?? LOL LOL

So–the Aitkin Fisheries Office/Treaty Biologist has the numbers( from the fox guarding the hen house). Here is his contact info: [email protected].

Patrick Schmalz

Fisheries Research Scientist

Division of Fish and Wildlife

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

1200 Minnesota Avenue

Aitkin, MN 56431

218-927-3751 ext.257

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.