Indirect Heat v.s Direct heat grillin

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

There are two types of grilling methods. Direct and Indirect cooking. I use a Weber Silver charcoal grill. First off I use a charcoal starter(see Pic below) to light my grill. You fill it with good charcoal like Kingsford Hickory. You then place a piece of newspaper underneath and light it. This way you do not need lighter fluid which can taint your meats.Place all the charcoal to one side of the grill. Next get your meats ready. Pork chops and steaks are main staples when grilling. Bring your meats to room temp before grilling. This allows the meat to cook evenly. When the grill is ready, start your meats directly above the charcoal. This is direct heating and we only want the meat on top of the coals to get good grill marks. Once the grill marks appear on the meat, place the meat on the side of the grill that has no charcoal. This is indirect heating. Your steaks and chops will come out nice and juicy. When the meat is done, let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to pull back into the meat. If you tear into it right away it will bleed out the juices all over your plate.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Good stuff here. Letting meat rest is something lots of people overlook. Works on everything from steaks to chicken and worth every minute.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I like. My modus operandi also. Pretty much all you need to know about grilling.

cravin4mor
    Isle, MN

I had a buddy who puts his grill grate ontop of that starter in the grill and before dumping the coals he sears the steaks on both sides. Once seared dump lump charcoal into grill for final roasting minutes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.