Fishing red Sept 18/19?

• phoyem
    Minneapolis

Hey! I’m bringing my dad and uncles up to Bemidji to fish the weekend of Sept 18th/19th. Mainly looking for walleye but would be open to a different bite if it’s good. My uncle lives in Bemidji so my first thought was Red Lake but open to other suggestions anywhere within an hour of Bemidji. Any thoughts? It seems odd how much pressure red lake gets in the winter, but in the summer/fall you never really hear much talk about it.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I think the main reason it’s quiet up there this time of year is the wind. West and northwest winds generally dominate this time of year and that makes fishing on the east side of that large lake challenging at best. It’s a big gamble to drive up there and potentially get blown off.
    Im sure the fishing will be good if you can get out there.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Good to know; looks like a south wind Saturday so we’ll probably give it a try. I have a 20′ lund alaskan which can handle bigger water fairly well.

Trolling cranks or worm harnesses?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Good to know; looks like a south wind Saturday so we’ll probably give it a try. I have a 20′ lund alaskan which can handle bigger water fairly well.

Trolling cranks or worm harnesses?

this time of year pulling spinners with crawlers would be what I would do. on bottom bouncers or snap weight/split shot maybe?

fishingadam54

How was the fishing last weekend? Is the water level up high enough to get larger boats out. I’m thinking of going up there this weekend.

Thanks

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Thanks for the info. I called west wind and they said fishing has been really slow, so we went to winnibigoshish. Was a good solid bite. Fished from 8am-11:30 and ended up with 10 walleye (9 were 13-16” and one 25”), 6 nice size perch, and 3 medium / small pike. All pulling harnesses over 8fow (raven’s point). Rest of the trip was family time but I was happy to put my dad and uncles on a decent bite.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.