First strike bite indicator

• hawghunter08

Just found out about these. What better more compact easy way to carry a tip up option around? Think these are going to be an awesome simple option. Ordered a few of each for night and day fishing. Much cheaper than the other options also.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Until your hole freezes over, but they look interesting for warm days.

hawghunter08

Yeah you’re right 3rdtryguy. I don’t run tip ups a lot but I like the few options out there that allow use of rods. Like the ifish pros. Just thought for the occasional times I want to these or so compact and easy to keep on hand. Probably not for the hard core tip up guys unless like you said it’s warmer weather. Just another cool option

acarroline

I have a few of these and like them for my deadsticks (4 lines allowed in SD). Wonder why they haven’t “taken off”, as i don’t see them or hear about them often.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have not tried the first strike bite. Having the flag attached to the rod seem like it would make the rod play the fish funny and add weight. I guess I don’t see any advantage to this system over the finicky fooler. The line attaches to the flag similar and you still need a rod holder.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Finicky fooler is the way to go. Throw those I fish pros out. I fell victim to buying the I fish pros. What a crap shoot those are. Every one I fish with has since moved on from the I fish pros to the finicky fooler.

CaptainMusky

Finicky fooler is the way to go. Throw those I fish pros out. I fell victim to buying the I fish pros. What a crap shoot those are. Every one I fish with has since moved on from the I fish pros to the finicky fooler.

100% love my finicky fooler. After watching the IDO shows where they used the iFish Pros I was like that is a very poor design! Half the time the rod handle was stuck in the mount.

tswoboda

For those bringing up the iFish or FF, have you seen the first strike flags?
    First strike is completely different, they clip directly to the rod blank and you can fit about 10 of them in your pocket lol. They work well, but I would recommend getting baitfeeder reels for them.

I have not tried the first strike bite. Having the flag attached to the rod seem like it would make the rod play the fish funny and add weight. I guess I don’t see any advantage to this system over the finicky fooler. The line attaches to the flag similar and you still need a rod holder.

I used them a couple years now strictly for the BWCA (winter camping) and the advantage is they are tiny. The whole mechanism is an ounce or two and it’s zero issues with the rod playing the fish. If you’re driving out or most cases with plenty of packing room and easy transportation then yes the FF is a no-brainer, but for someone who wants to pack light and compact the First Strikes are awesome.

CaptainMusky

I have not seen the first strike flags, but they do sound slick from what you describe, but not for me.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Those look way cool. I often hole hop a lot and one of these would ne nice for a 2nd rod set line.

Andy Fischer

Are these available at any stores? Or just on their website?

Hoyt4
    NULL

X3 for Finicky Foolers . I bet two of them are just over a pound total maybe a tad more. I can fit in my rod locker with my fishing rods and no damage or bouncing around. No extra packing since rods are already going to be in the locker.

acarroline

I have the finicky fooler (2 of them, hookset), a jawjacker, and three of the first strike indicators. I feel like they all have there place in how I fish.

The First Strike is tiny, weighs nothing, and is nice when I want to have a deadstick down (away from me) on a baitfeeder reel, and not have a higher end rod kept bent under load. I know you can use the FF without hookset version, too. It is nice when me and my son are able to hole hop, have 2 hookset foolers out and a jawjacker, and 3 of first strike indicators out on baitfeeder reels. Cover some ground and weight/size for gear is minimized.

I also want to share I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies, just enjoy fishing and always looking to be efficient with ways I enjoy fishing. That being said, if any of these companies want a new rep for their gear….:) ) )

tswoboda

Just noticed this thread is from 2019 coffee

Ripjiggen

I have used these for about five years. They work great with a bait feeder.
    Super compact and will work with any rod holder. When I hole hop I will either use my shack rod holders with shack flipped back or just pull the bucket outside. Foam hole cover will help with hole freeze up. Have caught just about every species on them.

acarroline

I “renewed” the thread instead of starting a new one as the topic was the same.

Reed

I tried the First Strike set up and I wasn’t that impressed. I ordered one and when it arrived the piece that locks it onto the rod was cracked and broke on the the first use. I reached out to the company and it took some time for them to respond, but the did send me a replacement part. I tried it again and set was finicky; the wind seemed to trip it easily. I ended up getting a finicky fooler with the hole cover and haven’t looked back.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I really like these for what they are. Compact, not overly priced, and they do work but they take some time to get going. I’ve been using them for 2-3 years now, specifically when sitting in a shack and running a dead stick with a live minnow on it. Just another visual aid for when you don’t want to hold your rod and jig it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for sharing the clip tswoboda. I do see where this being so tiny it would have an advantage. I have used other bite indicator systems that effected the rod play. After watching the clip I don’t think this system would impact it as much as those others did.

tswoboda

I have used other bite indicator systems that effected the rod play.

Like a bell clipped to the rod tip that makes the rod look like one of these guys yay

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2023-11-28-113721.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

All this thread reminds me of is how crappy the I fish pros are. Man I fell for that scam from this very website. I’m glad you guys showed me the ff shortly after.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    I have used other bite indicator systems that effected the rod play.

Like a bell clipped to the rod tip that makes the rod look like one of these guys

applause just like those rotflol

tim hurley

I have seen, used and purchased many such things. Hard to beat a good ol’tip up.
    I like my F Fooler but a tippy is so much easier to set up, freeze up effects all these things but less so when the spool is in the water. Whatever you like do yourself a favor and get 2 lines out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.