Blade bait sizes…when and where?

• gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Gonna grab a few to try this spring. Scheels only carries the 1/2 oz size, and wasn’t sure if that was the size I needed, so I only grabbed one.

What are your guys’ take on blade sizes? Does the current dictate the size, depth, fall rate, or what? I imagine I would pitch and jig if that makes a difference.

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

I fish 1/4 oz 95% of the time. 1/2 oz tend to only make their way onto my line when I’m on fish but the 1/4 oz moves a little too fast.

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Hole position….what difference does it make?

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Hole position….what difference does it make?

Of the 3 holes on them,the middle hole will give you the BEST action

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

Yep, i always start with the middle. I willswitch depending on how often I get fouled up, but use the middle the vast majority of the time

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

There are days when that larger profile of the 1/2 will out produce the 1/4 So, don’t be afraid to go more aggressive in size. Too many people think walleyes are some dainty light biting picky stuborn……fish. They are predators. If you present what they want, they EAT.
    I realize making my own, its easier said than done for having a large variety. But where your at on the river and the rate of flow may dictate the weight between 1/4 and 3/8. Generally, upper pools down through P4 have less current to deal with. Often, pools 7,8,9…can/will have more. Then looking at what type of structure your on will determine what/how to present. I love holding the boat and dropping blades into the trough. I look for just enough weight that I can control the drop between pulling out of the slack spot in the trough, into the current, and let it slowly fall back. If the current sweeps it up, I go heavier.

This link will take to a post that was made a couple days ago. In there, I compiled 6 or 7 links to previous blade posts that have a ton of info
    IDO Blades…..

henny
    Participant
    Prescott, WI

1/8-1/4oz I always try to go as light as I can get away with. Some days it don’t mater and it pays to fish 1/4 or a 5/16 faster. I like the glow-gill style myself. But use tweener and b3 also.

Dadams
    Participant
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Check out vibrationstackle.com their echo tail was my go to bait several times this winter on the ice. I removed the hooks and replaced with a drop chain hook. Plastic and meat in the same lure = pretty awesome catches.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Match the hatch, current, and depth the fish are at…Last spring there were a zillion tiny Pin Shad in upper P-4 and we absolutely had a circus casting 1/8oz Silver blades on 4#fluoro in current breaks…and some of those fish topped 24″.
    When the rollers are open and the midday fish have moved to deep water the 1/2oz blades come out…

clawman
    Participant
    Spokane Wa

Thurday three of us brought home 26 walleyes and figured we released that many throughout the day. Biggest a couple of 6.5 lb, several in the 4-6 lb and mostly 2-2.5 lb.
    Mostly on Bass Pro gold 5/8 oz. blade baits.
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Lazer-Blade-Lures/product/20746/#chart-container
    Key seemed to be to fish it slow and low, do not jerk it off the bottom too much. Often the fish was there when you picked it up. water temp 37.8 deg.
    Change hooks to #4 Gamakatsu wide gap red.
    Good day on the Columbia

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

There are days when that larger profile of the 1/2 will out produce the 1/4 So, don’t be afraid to go more aggressive in size. Too many people think walleyes are some dainty light biting picky stuborn……fish. They are predators. If you present what they want, they EAT.
    I realize making my own, its easier said than done for having a large variety. But where your at on the river and the rate of flow may dictate the weight between 1/4 and 3/8. Generally, upper pools down through P4 have less current to deal with. Often, pools 7,8,9…can/will have more. Then looking at what type of structure your on will determine what/how to present. I love holding the boat and dropping blades into the trough. I look for just enough weight that I can control the drop between pulling out of the slack spot in the trough, into the current, and let it slowly fall back. If the current sweeps it up, I go heavier.

This link will take to a post that was made a couple days ago. In there, I compiled 6 or 7 links to previous blade posts that have a ton of info
    IDO Blades…..

How true on the dainty statement. In my younger muskie fishing days I got some nice Walleyes on some very large jerkbaits fished just below the surface.

tom_gursky
    Participant
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Thurday three of us brought home 26 walleyes and figured we released that many throughout the day. Biggest a couple of 6.5 lb, several in the 4-6 lb and mostly 2-2.5 lb.
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Lazer-Blade-Lures/product/20746/#chart-container
    Key seemed to be to fish it slow and low, do not jerk it off the bottom too much. Often the fish was there when you picked it up. water temp 37.8 deg.
    Good day on the Columbia

Wow…You have a lot more generous bag limits there than in the Midwest here…

clawman
    Participant
    Spokane Wa

Quote:

Quote:

Good day on the Columbia

Wow…You have a lot more generous bag limits there than in the Midwest here…

Yes we do. Last year they raised the limit on the Columbia to 16 fish per day and lifted any slot limits. They blame low salmon numbers on non native species such as walleye and smallmouth bass.
    We could have brought home 48 fish that day but that is just too many.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.