Terrova or Fortrex

• lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

Trying to decide between the two. I would just like to here from people that made the switch from Maxxum/Fortrex to Terrova. If your happy you made the switch. I hate the PD and cant believe people own them. Every thing I here is positive about the Terrova. Is it alot easier to stow/deploy then the PD?

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I’m going with the Fortrex.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Had a maxxum, now have terrova and after 3 months I am now looking to swap for a Foretrex. nuf said!!

shaley
    Milford IA

We swapped a Maxxum for a Terrova on one of our boats this spring, mine will have one next year. Guess it depends what you fish for but with the Terrova you can set a course with the AP and set your speed with the cruise control and fish without having to constantly adjust the motor. Want to stop and fish a small spot hit the anchor lock and it will hover you in place while you cast. Want to work a weedline over several times program the trail and let the motor follow the track while you fish. Advantage of the cable drives…….. stow and deploy maybe????

Oh yea and the Terrova lets you control the motor from any place in the boat, your not married to a foot control in the bow.

Dont get me wrong the Maxxum on the bow of mine does a good job but I loose casts every day out with it due to having to stop casting to fine tune the speed or to reposition the boat after a wake or wind gust turns me off course.

Otis I’ll trade you

arklite881south

Use the Terrova 101 nearly everyday on Rainy Lake. Love it. Love the control pad. I sit on a bike seat and utilze the two arrows Right/left and spin up the speed. Works well for me,and the 101lbs of thrust Rock with my WX2100 controlling the big glass in big water on big rollers holding structure.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Dont get me wrong the Maxxum on the bow of mine does a good job but I loose casts every day out with it due to having to stop casting to fine tune the speed or to reposition the boat after a wake or wind gust turns me off course.

Otis I’ll trade you

hmmm….the reason you don’t like the maxxum is the same reason I don’t like the terrova. In strong winds and waves, too slow of a response and I have had the AP go totally wacko on me and ended up going in the opposite direction then intended.

The terrova is great for when I use the kicker for propulsion but the trolling motor for steering (rivers for strong currents and windy) and I can have the pedal in the back by the rods.

shaley
    Milford IA

I dont like the cable drives since I’m stuck in the bow. I do fish for supper sometimes and love to troll eyes at night with the bowmount. Rest of the season I muskie hunt and after running the Terrova on my partners boat I gotta have one. His boat is totaly different for controll than it was with the Maxxum on it. Conditions we couldn’t fish before we now can, of course the difference between his and mine is he runs alum I run glass so I can do things in some conditions he still cant, or can’t as easy.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Terrova IP is PD…I love mine, and liked my PDs….

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Terrova 101 us2 w/ IP, hands down!!
    Had mine since the first of April of this year.
    Still working through this season, had issues very early (first 2 times out), since none now.
    Hands down, get this one!!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Trying to decide between the two. I would just like to here from people that made the switch from Maxxum/Fortrex to Terrova. If your happy you made the switch. I hate the PD and cant believe people own them. Every thing I here is positive about the Terrova. Is it alot easier to stow/deploy then the PD?

The Terrova’s stow and deploy is a significant improvement over the PD models.

toothycritters

I can’t say about the Fortrex since I’ve never had or run one but I bought my Terrova in 2008 and I love it! I had a PD before that, night and day! I did add the I-pilot this year and its pretty cool but my peeve with that, and maybe Iam doing something wrong, but it will shut it self off when using the I-pilot. I do know that when you hit a button on the foot pedal it overrides the I-pilot so maybe it is just me.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Personally I couldn’t deal with the cable drive and the inability to take your foot off the pedal if you needed to or wanted to, I couldn’t even get my own bait in the wind and hope to hold a spot. IMHO Minimum Terrova with AP a co-pilot, add the US2 and the ipilot and you’re in heaven.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

I made the switch from a Pinpoint to a Terrova. Hands down Pinpoint was years ahead. The Terrova took that by 10x. Terova all the way

Chris

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have run maxxums for years, which are essentially the same as a fortrex. My father put a Terrova on his boat and I can’t wait to get one. They’re much, much better than the power drive models and I can’t wait to get one on my boat. My maxxum does it’s job well, but the terrova makes life much easier for 90%+ of the fishermen out there. I could see an advantage to a cable steer motor like the Fortrex in situations where you need to stop and turn on a dime, like when you’re following a shoreline with big rocks that appear out of nowhere (like northern LOTWs), fishing milfoil, etc. I don’t do that enough to appreciate the extra quick steering, so I’ll take a terrova (which still steers pretty darn quickly).

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I would never give up my cable steer based on how I fish, which is always on the bow. Fortrex is a great motor if that is what you are looking to do. If you like to fish in other areas of the boat or keep moving while not having your foot into it, go with the electric steer. The new electric steers are much improved over a few years ago. Whatever you do, go big with thrust and ensure you get the right shaft length.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Whatever you do, go big with thrust and ensure you get the right shaft length.

My wife could have used that wisdom before we got married.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.