Locking Electronics to Boat

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

Now that I’ve spent almost as much on electronics as I did on my boat, I’m wondering what I can do to secure them when I travel. I’ve got an 1197 and a 958 both mounted on Ram mounts (1197 on the really big ball, the 958 on the standard ball). Does anyone have any good ideas about how I could lock them to the boat? I’m mostly interested in something I could put on the boat when I’m traveling and maybe even when it’s in the garage — it doesn’t have to be something I leave on 100% of the time. Any ideas? I hate taking the displays off the boat, but maybe that’s what it will come down to.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Take them off.

I’d suggest taking them off as well.

Strange things can happen to electronics during travel, and I’ve heard plenty of stories about sonar units growing legs during a quick stop at the gas station.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Crooks are relentless when it comes to marine electronics, take them off and put them in the cab with you. It is also safer when traveling. I had a rock come off the tire and bust the screen on my stern unit a few years back. I watched the rock go flying in the mirror and thought “there goes a nice ding in the boat” little did I know it trashed the screen on my finder. I thought I was gonna be sick when I saw it.

Now the units come off and get put in a hardsided case that I keep locked up. Just think of losing all of your “secret spots” when your GPS gets jacked.

wallgeye
    Richfield, MN

I have one of each size of these, Cabela’s Electronics Travel Case Item:UK-016500

They go in the case when the boat comes off the water and stay in the cab of my truck while I drive, they stay in the house, and go back on the boat while I am prepping the boat for launch. If I stay at a resort, they come off and go into the bags and into my room for the night.

The 1197 and the 113 fit perfectly into the medium bag, the lcx 37 fits perfectly into the small, some room in the large for like a small 5 inch screen model, it comes with a padded divider so you can adjust things.

These are probably the best Cabela’s branded stuff I have purchased!

Sorry, wish I knew how to set up a link to the item directly,

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I take them off every time I trailer or put the boat in storage. I’ve known too many people that have lost expensive gear. And I guarantee you, no matter how you lock it up, if a thief wants your stuff and has more than a few seconds of alone time with your rig, he’ll get it. And if you’ve attempted to lock it to your boat you’ll lose your stuff and have a damaged boat left behind.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

I always take mine off and would suggest the same. They do sell some locking devices for them but I would only suggest this for short periods of time away from the boat such as filling up for gas and walking into the gas station. But not for overnight or anything like that. Here is a link if you are interested in a lock.

Lock

Jordan

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

Locks are for honest people or to keep them honest.

Chris

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Locks are for honest people or to keep them honest.

Chris

My father in his later years became a locksmith, he mentioned this several times and proceeded to show me how easy locks can be removed.

I don’t like my electronics in the boat when I travel for both the bouncing around they do, and the fact some punk may steal them, and they’re usually not very neat when they do, whatever needs to get broken usually does.

It’s a pain to take on and off, but at least I know that hid under the back seat of my truck there’s a better chance they’ll be there when I get to where ever I’m going.

Al

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

I speak from experience….TAKE THEM OFF There are a whole lot of looking to make a out of you.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Come on … didn’t you guys read my post? I said I hate taking them off the boat!

Ok, ok, I suppose you guys are right.

John

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

John

ok…I suppose you could epoxy them right to the boat, that way if someone steals them, you’d just have to look for some one selling electronics with a piece of dash attached to it????

Al

trouter18

Quote:

John

If it really bothers you, you could buy an H-Bird. I don’t mean to start a brand war here, and I’m sure there are much more important reasons in making your choice, but it could be a factor. That said, I just got my first H-Bird. All the connected wires can be removed with one pull. Takes me 3 seconds to take off, takes me about 60 seconds to take off the Lowrance after un-screwing the gps, transducer, and power cables. I also use Johnny Ray mounts. They are quicker than loosening up a RAM ball mount (athough much less versatile). They can be mounted on top of a RAM too, although it looks kind of bad. H-Bird mounts actually replace the need for purchasing another mount if you can fit it where you need it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.