While I wait, a question

• wallgeye
    Richfield, MN

Bought a 24v ipilot at the sports show last weekend. I figured it would be here by now as it was shipping from Walker to the cities. It is not though and I thought I would ask a question.

I currently have a MinnKota Maxxum 24v troller on the boat now that I will be replacing with the new ipilot. I have seen the threads about wire gauge and am concerned. I was hoping it would be a quick swap with the only wiring work being the wiring of the plug to my boat.

Anyone think the wires from my battery currently will not be up to snuff for the new troller?? Both 24v and 80lbs thrust units.

Thanks! C’mon UPS truck!!!!

MuskyTrap

I think, and don’t quote me on this, that Minnkota motors are recommended to be ran on something around an 8ga wire. If the 24volt motor ran on the existing wires (from your batteries to your plug) I would sure think you would be ok now as you are still only pulling 24v.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

I am waiting for mine from the same place. I talked to them on Tuesday and they figure it would arrive Friday. Sorry i don’t have a answer for the question

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Actually now that I think of it I replaced the maxxum on my boat with the terrova without checking or looking at anything, Good thing I don’t work with electrcity I guess.

wallgeye
    Richfield, MN

Thanks for the replies!! I was feeling pretty confident that the new unit should work fine with existing wiring, I had that nagging question in the back of my head though. This maxxum I am replacing has been rock solid! I really hope I do not open a can of worms by getting rid of it (look for it in classifieds soon! )

I opened a can of worms when I replaced my perfectly operating 332C with a 113HD and a 37C. Total of 3 returns between the 2 units and I do not spend near the time on the water as alot of you here.

Well, I can hope for Friday delivery, was really hoping to have it today or yesterday so I could install it, working all weekend so it looks like next week to get things taken care of. I hit GM last night and found the adapter cable for the US (I think this is what I ordered, ticket mentions US on it, guess I did not really clarify what I wanted.) also fount the ram mount for the terrova. I guess I thought that there was a lever style clamp that retained the shaft. I did not realize you had to loosen the t-handle and pull the upper ball out, I can see me losing that piece that clamps down on the balls over the side!

Nick, Ryan did a bang up job on the boat carpet today for me!!

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Any size wire will handle any voltage (providing the insulation is adequate). It is the AMP draw that is of concern here. If the AMP draw is the same on both motors, you should be good to go. If the Amperage is different, say higher, then you may have to rewire. If it is lower, no problem.

payday
    Ramsey, Mn

“I can see me losing that piece that clamps down on the balls over the side!”

Been there; done that. I modified mine by tying a short string/rope to the bottom ball from the T handle bolt. It’s not falling overboard again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.