Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke or 90 hp Opti?

• GuyJohnson

I need some advice. I am about to purchase a new Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS and have to choose between the Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke or 90 hp Optimax. I love trolling cranks. Which motor would be the better choice?

Thanks!

etec
    Rochester,MN

I just sold my 165cs with a 75 e-tec and it moved that boat 35 mph gps. It was a great setup. Now I got a 18ft with a 90 Yamaha 4 stroke and it is great for for trolling cranks. That Yamaha 4 stroke is a great motor. good luck and have fun fishing.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Personally, I think Yamaha has the most solid motor of them all. I am running a 93′ 60hp tiller in my 02′ aluma 165. I bought it from my buddy who owned it since 02′. Obviousley the motor was used. He had me do all the maint. on the boat and there has never been a problem with the mtr, other than water pump 3 years ago. I just changed the plugs finally, thought it would be smart to change them as we never did. they looked great, nice dark brown.

2 other friends are running new Yammi 150 and 225 on skeeters and rangers. They both have kickers but never use them crankin’ because these motors troll down well. Im sure Merc is good but my $ will stay with yammi.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Welcome to IDO Guy!

Yamaha gets my vote. Very reliable.

Who are you buying your new boat from?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I guess I’m on the other end here.
    I’d buy the Opti in a blink of an eye.
    The 90hp model is bullet proof.
    You also do have a bit of less maintenance, however Opti Plugs and Oil is expensive.

One factor for trolling cranks is that the Opti should idle down to less prop RPMs that the 90hp 4-stroke.

Both are great motors.
    I would look at cost comparison to evaluate the purchase.

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

I own a 2002 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke. No problems with it. But I do get tired of smelling the oil when we are trolling. I would go with a 4 stroke just to get away from the smell. My moter doesn’t smoke but you can still smell the oil.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

4-stroke all the way. one oil change a year is not alot of maintenence compared to high perf 2-stroke oil and special plugs.

sink-her
    Kasson MN

AGREEEEEE !!!!!!!! 4 stroke run it!!!!!

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I’ve got the 165 Nav Sport with a 90hp Etec/9.9 Johnson for trolling. I love the Etec as a main motor and for fast trolling but the kicker for sub 2.0 mph trolling.

Between your two motors. . .I’d go with the Yammy since the Merc is louder and you’re not after performance with the 165C anyway. Even at max hp it’s not a fast boat. You’ll love the Alumacraft–great ride.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Between your two motors. . .I’d go with the Yammy since the Merc is louder and you’re not after performance with the 165C anyway.

I agree and if you can afford it add the Yamaha T8 best kicker on the market you will love it, if not now add it later on down the road.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What is the price difference between the Yamaha 4-Stroke and the Opti?

With the Smart gaugues on the Opti, you should get RPMs down to 450.
    I’m guessing that minimum RPM for the 4-Stroke is 800 RPMS?
    Both have same gear ratio.
    So, you will be able to troll much slower with the Opti.

Optis are fairly quiet and don’t have the odor of a typical 2 stroke carb motor.

Which one is more fuel efficient?

And mostly, what is the cost difference?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

according to the owners manual, the in-gear idle rpm is 650, and the SmartCraft Troll Control will not “artifically” lower the idle, it just allows you to incrementally set the rpm in small (10 rpm?) steps.
    HRG

GuyJohnson

Thanks Guys, great info! Your input makes this a pretty easy decision. The boat with the Yamaha is $400 less than the boat with the Opti.

Thanks again.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Thanks Guys, great info! Your input makes this a pretty easy decision. The boat with the Yamaha is $400 less than the boat with the Opti.

Thanks again.

Yep, I’d go 4-stroke then!

Make sure whomever you buy it from has a good reputation for servicing your boat/motor. The largest complaints I hear from all boat owners is not the boat or the motor, it is the service once you own it!!!!

Cheers on your new purchase!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.