St. Croix Rod Question

• akockelm
    Metro MN

I’m looking for a good walleye rod for vertical jigging and also do duty as a rigging rod. Do you think the premier 7 1/2 ft., fast, Med. light power would do the trick? Or would the Avid of the same length and action but medium power be a better choice? I would have to move to the Avid to get a medium power in the same length and action. The Med. light power seems like it might be too light.

Thanks!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Are you looking for a 50/50 split of time in using each presentation? If you are using it for one presentation for the vast majority of the time, that may sway advice.

Sully

akockelm
    Metro MN

Good point. I would actually want to use it rigging 60% of the time.

rangerski
    North Metro

The 7.5 med. lt. fast is ideal for rigging, As for jigging you need the ex. fast med power 6′ or 6’6″. When jigging, strike detection and a solid backbone for an instant hookset is best acheived with a ex. fast tip. IMO Others will prob. agree. Good Luck, Avids Rock!! The premeier 7.6 is awesome for rigging.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I would go AVID , I use a 6’6″ med for both.

Make sure you call Dean at Everrets for your St Croix, his service is

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

I’m looking for a good walleye rod for vertical jigging and also do duty as a rigging rod. Do you think the premier 7 1/2 ft., fast, Med. light power would do the trick? Or would the Avid of the same length and action but medium power be a better choice? I would have to move to the Avid to get a medium power in the same length and action. The Med. light power seems like it might be too light.

Thanks!

How much weight do you rig with?
    The lifetime warranty on Avid vs premiere is also something for you to factor in your decision>
    Good luck!

howler
    bagley wi.

Seems like everbody likes 7ft rods, I use a 5′ 4″ St. Croix med. for vertical jiging, had a guide say using a short rod is the thing for vertical jiging.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

I use a 5′ 4″ St. Croix med. for vertical jiging, had a guide say using a short rod is the thing for vertical jiging.

I would tend to agree that a shorter rod might be better for vertical jigging. I do alot of pitching with my Avid rods and only a little time vertical jigging. I have found the Avid 6’6″ ML for most all my walleye spinning applications such as dragging, pitching, and vertical. It has a nice soft tip and some backbone starting about 10″ down from the tip.

Another important question;
    Do you like to use braid or mono with your rigging and vertical presentations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.