Baitcaster Help

• pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Does anyone have any tips on casting a baitcaster? I get backlash all the time. What is the best setting for the internal magnets all out, all in? Half and Half? I need some help or if you could point me in the right direction that would be great
    Thanks
    Hollywood2

JonathanTegeler
    Manchester, Iowa

Hey, i started off by flipping a tube with a 3/8oz weight on it, after i got alrite at flipping a started casting short distances and soon was casting good. try just to work into longger cast, it helped me. good luck
    Jonathan

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

things to never forget, keep the reel sideways while casting, and make sure the thumb is in the spool, i have gottin so much better from last year just doin that stuff.
    -Aaron

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Practice, practice, practice

When starting off, keep the magnets tight. As you start getting the feel with your thumb you will be able to back off the antilash and get better distance with your cast.

Don’t give up. When you have it master you will love the baitcaster reels

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Last bit of advice………You don’t have to cast like you are swatting mosquitos!!!!!!

Meaning, don’t “kill it!”

Smooth, gentle yet quick (not blazing fast) cast will send that lure as far as you want………Once you get the hang of it and the feel, then you can “kill it”, but will still get some backlash here/then…….

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

things to never forget, keep the reel sideways while casting , and make sure the thumb is in the spool, i have gottin so much better from last year just doin that stuff.
    -Aaron

I cast with mine vertically all the time. Educating your thumb is the key.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I had this same question last year, and one thing that I really found helpfull, at least to me. I tied on the end of the line a 9/16″ nut. I found that the heavier the weight on the end of the line the easier to cast, and then just kept working my way lighter and ligher. Only had one backlash after that. Hours and Hours of practice. Most of the practice will be training your thumb on the spool.

Also what I was told that was helpfull, was to keep the spool tight, and let whatever you have tied on fall freely until it hits the ground, when it hits the ground the spool should stop also. Good luck! You will go thru a lot of before you get good at it.

P.S. One other quick thing that I found really helpfull. I tied on 50lb test. Easier for me anyway to work the backlash out.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Guys, guys, guys..to avoid backlash..buy the shimano calcutta 200dc- that is the reel with the digitally controlled braking in it, virtually illiminating all backlash. All for the low low price of $500.00!!!

Steve Lepic, actually bought one of these last week…it is a SWEET reel, however I can not afford it, even though it is worth the money.
    Some people don’t like them, but if you fish for it with a few days..it is hard to go back to chronarch/curado.

All very good tips here, biggest thing in my opinion is practice, and learning how to use that thumb!

sand_pike

set the spool speed correctly, so the lure drops slowly when you hit the button.
    Wing it, and practice with your thumb.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Quote:

things to never forget, keep the reel sideways while casting , and make sure the thumb is in the spool, i have gottin so much better from last year just doin that stuff.

-Aaron

I cast with mine vertically all the time. Educating your thumb is the key.

as do I

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Everything above is good advise, I think the reason Aaron says to hold the reel sideways is that ergonomically it is easier on the joints and better on your wrist and elbow in the long haul- it doesnt really make a difference on backlash or no but you can get more wrist into it.

That being said, when i learned it was tight magnets, heavy weight, and not in a “fishing for fish situation” (ie on your grass or water with no lure or pressure on accuracy at the beginning) if overhand casting aim very high (45 degrees)while lightly thumbing and watch the lure, just before it lands press harder with your thumb to stop the spool. As you get better, the magnets can loosen, and you will still from time to time backlash but you will love the control both casting and with fish that you have.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.