St. Croix rods

• lookin4fish

i know alot of guys on this site use them so i thought i would ask if anyone had heard that st. croix was moving htier production out of wisconsin and over to china? i heard this yesterday and was thought it sucked. anyone know if this is true? i know this is the trend with production in america, but i would encourage if this is confirmed true, people join me in no longer purchasing thier product. i think it is rotten when tey move things out of the country. st. croix has lasted this long and made a great product for years, my guess is that there will be higher dollor signs overseas. what do you guys think? think you fellas that have been true to st. croix (like myself) could find another brand if this is true???

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

They have one model made out of country, the Triumph. All other rods are made in Wisconsin. The triumph is a $50 price point rod and all other major rod manufacturers that offer a rod at this price point have their rods made out of country. I would assume that if they would have had to drop offering a rod at that price level all together if they hadn’t made the move they did.

So… avids, tournament series and legend elites are still made in the USA. I’m not aware of any other major manufacturer that offers any rods made in the USA but I would be interested in seeing a list started here. To my knowledge all rods from Shimano / G Loomis, Berkley, etc., are now made out of the country.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

About G Loomis rods after some digging around…

They were bought up by Shimano awhile back and I heard plans of moving their rod production over- seas. I cannot confirm the change in production ever took place or was actually scheduled to take place. Can anyone shed light on this?

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I believe that Falcon is the only top end manufacture left that is 100% manufactured in the US.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

G. Loomis rods are 100% made in Woodland, Washington, USA. They use the best components available. The only non-USA comp. that I am aware of is the cork. I have seen the factory and there production standards are second to none! I do own a few St. Croix Avids and Premiers and have had very good success, but when it time to get things done I turn to my GLX and IMX rods. Shimano bought G. Loomis over 4 years ago. Shimano has used the factory to make some of their rods and learn to make better rods. I believe that the Fig Rig rods are made in Minnesota. I have felt these rods and talk to people that fish them and I liked how they felt and the people seem to like them. There are alot of good rods on the market, but a person owes it to themselves to fish with a Loomis or a St. Croix!! 690reece

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, Fig Rig is manufactured in Grand Rapids, MN. Falcon & G-Loomis are the only others besides St. Croix that I know of. I wonder if all the guides, handles and the glass in these rods are all made in USA ? Don’t know.

big g

bjacks50
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

The Helium and LTX from Kistler is made in the US, but the rest of there rods are made overseas.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

I have tried the St Croix Triumph…I did not think it was that fantastic. Maybe I do not know how a good rod feels or perhaps it was too cheap a St Croix. In any case, I feel that the Shimano Clarus which Chappy introduced me to was a better feeling rod to me.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

There are actually a fair number of better brands of blanks that are made here… Lamiglass, Loomis, St. Croix, Shikari, Rogue (I think), GUSA, and a few more… but the numbers keep dropping off every year – buy these blanks made here or none will be made here eventually is the bottom line.

Chuckles

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Lamiglass, like G. Loomis, are made in Woodland, Washington. I was at the factory two years ago when one of my buddies steelhead rods exploded fishing summer stealhead. We went to the factory, gave them the rod, and they gave us a new one. Total transaction time, 10 minutes. Try doing that with a rod made in China.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.