Fishfinder recommendations?

• djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

Well here I go with my first post…

My 22 year old flasher is finally starting to wear out so I am in the market for a new fishfinder. I’m primarily a Bass, Northern, Musky fisherman but have been getting into some walleye fishing on the St. Croix (although all I seem to catch are sheephead – I’ll save that problem for another post). I’m looking for just a fishfinding unit (no GPS, mapping etc.). I would like to spend in the $200 – $300 range. Here are some of my questions:

1. How much power is necessary?
    2. Single cone or dual cone transducer?
    3. Is one brand better/ more reliable than another?
    4. What else to consider?

I’ve kind of narrowed it down to these choices:

Humminbird 565 (dual cone transducer)
    Garmin FF250 or FF240
    Lowrance X125
    Eagle Fishmark 480

Anybody own any of these and care to share their opinions?

Thanks for the help.

Dave

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

go color!!! welcome to IDA

Oh, i have the x125 and bought the 3500c gps and will never go back to black and white again!

elesar

My choice is the Vexialr Edge 507, its black and white and worth the extra money. I believe Derek Johnston has an article up on it in the articles section.

mcwalleye
    Mississippi Pool 16

DJL,
    I’ve got the Fishmark 480 and think it’s great. I have the speed and temp option also and use that a lot. You can’t go wrong with this unit for the money.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you can, hold out and save your money for a color unit like the Lowrance X102C. If you have to go black-n-white the Lowrance X135 would be a good choice. It’s got a better picture than the X125.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.