Walleye Jigs Question/Bass Hooks

• pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

I am going to get some more walleye jigs, and was wondering if I should go with long shank or short shank hooks on the jig heads. Oh ya! I want to get the red hooks on them to. Any opinions
    Also I am getting some bass hooks for bass opener, has anyone used the red bass hooks?
    Thanks

Paul

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I like using long shanked hooks on plastics, short hooks when using live bait.
    I do use red hooks but not all the time. I will use both thru the course of the day to see what they want.

Ron

serpent
    MPLS, MN

lindy makes a nice jig with a red hook. i dig em. as for bass hooks you can’t beat gamagatsu ewgs—-as for red hooks for bass never used them i hear they work awesome though

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I can honestly say the short hooks have put more fish in the bait using live bait. Why? I have no clue. I agree with slider

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I can honestly say the short hooks have put more fish in the bait using live bait. Why? I have no clue. I agree with slider

Matt, now that had to hurt to say.
    Ron

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

damn,……..Bait…. boat….. Whatever……Smart

kris_brantner
    My river

i believe if its not broke, dont fix it. im not a real believer in rred hooks but i know many out there are. i usually use gamis or i like the bps hooks too. i always use ewg hooks because they are more weedless and snagless than the regualar worm hooks because you have an easier time embedding the hook into the plastic. as far as walleyes i dont ever fish fo them so im no help there

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I only fish jigs/minnows for about 10 days a year. I have done a ton of testing and the long shank jigs catch fish 4 to 1. Even with a stinger I was missing many bites with the short shank hooks. Maybe if the fish were more aggressive a short shank would work better. For plastics, I like a long shank jig. I don’t think a red hook or even the color of the jighead is very important for plastics. I know a red hook does wonders for me on a rig or under a bobber with live bait, so maybe a red hook with a shiner would be good.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

When I jig minnows, I like a short shank such as Fireballs (you can use a stinger too) or the Max Gap if you’re using shiners. Longer shanks are the way to go for plastics. I also like red hooks for live or artificial baits.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.