how to determine a used boat price??

• williams.luca

Im looking at buying a used boat and want to get the best bang for my buck. I am having a hard time finding out how much I should be paying for used boats. Ive been looking at a 16′ 1991 alumacraft competitor with a 1994 40hp johnson with tilt and trim. What would be a good price on a boat like this??? or what can I expect to get for around $3500 in a tiller 16ft??

deertracker

I would find as many on craig’s list as you can to see what people are asking. Search a few different locations as well.
    DT

deertracker

Where areyou located? That could make a difference as well. I looked in a few MN locations and did not see any. WC has a big classifieds but the boats stay pretty current. You could probably find a value on NADA but in my opinion its better to find actual listings. Listed value doesn’t always mean someone will pay it.
    DT

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

I would find as many on craig’s list as you can to see what people are asking. Search a few different locations as well.
    DT

x2

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I sold a very similar boat to that last year for $3300, if everything checks out and it’s what you want in your price range id go for it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Im looking at buying a used boat and want to get the best bang for my buck. I am having a hard time finding out how much I should be paying for used boats. Ive been looking at a 16′ 1991 alumacraft competitor with a 1994 40hp johnson with tilt and trim. What would be a good price on a boat like this??? or what can I expect to get for around $3500 in a tiller 16ft??

$2500 to $4500 is the range for a Competitor of the vintage you mention.

The biggest factors are location, condition, and time of year.

We are about to enter CrazyTime as far as used boat sales, so if you have your sights set on one, pull the trigger. Once we hit April, it’ll be the start of 2 months of CrazyTime and the price you’ll pay and the frustration you’ll encounter will both hit record levels.

I remember one forum member in particular who had to buy a rig during CrazyTime because he had sold his old boat the previous year. After a few days, he was suffering from the worst case of EBBF (Extreme Boat Buying Frustration) that I’ve ever seen.

Grouse

4d-rock

That is exactly why I started looking for a boat in March. Luckily I found a nice boat with lots of options for a very reasonable price. I had to drop everything and drive 4-5 hours to get it, but that’s what you gotta do to beat everyone else to it.

I don’t even wanna think of what I’d have paid for the same boat during crazy time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.