Enjoy the Weekend Orange Army!

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

One of the best weekends of the year, make sure you relax and enjoy it! There’s a viral video going around of a landowner in ND screaming at some guys duck hunting in ND, that reminded me of our experience on last years deer hunt. The land we have permission to hunt is 40 acres, and a new buyer bought the neighboring 120 acres last year. He paid way over market for the land, brought in a professional food plot company, expensive blinds/stands all over and just spent a ton of money on his new land. Apparently this meant no one nearby was supposed to do anything that *might* impact his hunt. He yelled at us because someone in our group shot a deer opening morning and we came in (walked) to get it at 11 am, then he yelled at us because someone else shot a deer at the end of the day and tracking that night would scare off all the deer, and tracking in the morning would ruin their morning hunt. Still not sure how he thought we should find it. It was crazy, and I’m just not going to add that stress to one of the best weekends, so we are hunting elsewhere this year.

Anyway I wanted to make a post to remind everyone hunting is *supposed* to be fun, and it’s about a lot more than the meat, so relax and enjoy it. And if something doesn’t go to your liking, stay calm and move on. Life is short and there are PLENTY of deer around. And if you don’t get one during gun season, get a muzzleloader, don’t start yelling at people. Especially this year, people seem to be more on edge in general, don’t be one of them! Keep calm and hunt on. Good luck!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Great point Werm. Have fun this weekend, drink a few and enjoy those at camp. We leave tomorrow morning to set up camp. toast

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Randy’s got some interesting stories from the area he hunts in WI. I’ve never seen anything close to that where I hunt.

Gitchi Gummi

great reminder big werm! good luck everyone and more than anything, be safe

Cheers!

CaptainMusky

One of the best weekends of the year, make sure you relax and enjoy it! There’s a viral video going around of a landowner in ND screaming at some guys duck hunting in ND

Is it still up? I watched the first video and then he did a follow up, but checked the dude’s page the other day and couldnt find them. That old fart was a total dick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is it still up?

Yeah, you can find both of them on YouTube still. I got it thru a MeatEater email, but don’t really care to share videos of jackwagons.

KP
    Hudson, WI

That video is insane and cant believe how some people can act.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve watched both of those videos. Also read a story by the landowners kid where he claims the kids edited out everything they did to provoke them but of course how would he know except for what his dad told him. Either way that guy was an ass.

To your post yes indeed! Everyone enjoy. I’ll be missing my first opener in a long while because my son’s first basketball tournament is this weekend but I’ll be up 2nd weekend. Love deer camp!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Stay safe boys, lots of warriors walking the woods with a high power gun and a hangover.

buck-slayer

Doesn’t hurt to have a safety talk with your group when not hunting by yourself. Tuff it out on your stand and be patient. Think of all time you devote to this sport for something that’s going to happen in 10-60 seconds and be done. Hope your standing over a bug one when your time is done.

FinickyFish

For me it’s more about the family reunion than the hunting. I’d rather my nieces shoot and only have to help gut and drag. Don’t care if I get a shot anymore. It’s probably my least favorite hunting but I get excited every year for it. It’s like that Christmas morning feeling I got when I was a kid.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m in the odd situation. I hunt ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse, and turkey. But not deer. I’m sure it’s just because my Dad didn’t deer hunt, and I never went along with anyone else. Oh well, I’ve been piling up birds the last month and got some fall fishing in also. The start of deer season is a 2-3 week break for me before going back after pheasants and thinking about hard water. Maybe someday this will change, likely only if my son wants to deer hunt in a couple years when he’s old enough.

Good luck out there!

27eyeguy

Good luck and be safe. Take a newbie along if possible and enjoy the experience. Couple weeks to go for WI opener.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m in the odd situation. I hunt ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse, and turkey. But not deer. I’m sure it’s just because my Dad didn’t deer hunt, and I never went along with anyone else.

I hunt or did hunt all those other critters you mentioned in addition to deer, and quite honestly deer is my least favorite because it’s so boring for long periods of time. The only reason I got into it is because there was a long multi generational family tradition of deer camp. Now I do it more to just get away from the grind of daily life. I find it to be very peaceful and enjoy the solitude the most now. Plus deer is the only type of hunting my Father really does nowadays, so if I don’t deer hunt I don’t get to hunt with him at all.

snelson223
    Austin MN

There is a new video up about the kids duck hunting. You can also go to Grand Forks newspaper. Sounds like the land owner has 3 charges against him and 1 of kids is getting trespass charge.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good luck and be safe. Take a newbie along if possible and enjoy the experience. Couple weeks to go for WI opener.

That’s part of the reason we are going elsewhere, my nephews first year hunting! Trying to give him a good first experience of regular deer season. He’s only done the youth season thus far. And I agree, the hunting part doesn’t matter to me as I’d much rather be xbow hunting from the ground, sitting in a stand doesn’t do much for me. But the BS and camaraderie is priceless.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I watched the videos too. I’d have had a really tough time not giving that old fart a piece of my mind. I do think the kids should’ve setup 2 feet off the line though. It wouldn’t have made a bit of difference to the birds and the crabby pants neighbor wouldn’t have had any real argument against them then.

Have fun everyone and stay safe! Remember your safety training and remind the kids, even if they roll their eyes when you repeat it! Let’s see some deer pics and great smiles! waytogo

ajw

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    I’m in the odd situation. I hunt ducks, geese, pheasant, grouse, and turkey. But not deer. I’m sure it’s just because my Dad didn’t deer hunt, and I never went along with anyone else.

I hunt or did hunt all those other critters you mentioned in addition to deer, and quite honestly deer is my least favorite because it’s so boring for long periods of time. The only reason I got into it is because there was a long multi generational family tradition of deer camp. Now I do it more to just get away from the grind of daily life. I find it to be very peaceful and enjoy the solitude the most now. Plus deer is the only type of hunting my Father really does nowadays, so if I don’t deer hunt I don’t get to hunt with him at all.

You know, you don’t HAVE to hunt sitting in a tree stand. I tire of tree stand hunting quickly so I do a lot of still hunting, and rattling/grunting a little as I move slowly/stop often. I feel like I learn a lot more too. Different strokes for different folks though. Have a good season!

deertracker

Make sure everyone posts their updates in the “live from the tree” thread on the hunting side. I’m guessing it will stay in the todays topics all weekend.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You know, you don’t HAVE to hunt sitting in a tree stand. I tire of tree stand hunting quickly so I do a lot of still hunting, and rattling/grunting a little as I move slowly/stop often. I feel like I learn a lot more too. Different strokes for different folks though. Have a good season!
    [/quote]

100 percent agree. I’m a open ground hunter, and have been very successful because of it. I can’t sit in a stand very long.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

BDR

I also love still hunting. Been doing it 40 some years. Funny story from when I was a young teen. While still hunting one afternoon. I spotted a deer laying down, let’s say 75 yards out. I am taking slowest, quietest steps possible. Gun raised ready to pull the trigger. I got approximately 20 yards away. Suddenly startled by a God like voice from above. “ITS ALREADY DEAD”. Didn’t notice the stand or hunter up in the tree. Ha ha. I felt like a fool.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You know, you don’t HAVE to hunt sitting in a tree stand. I tire of tree stand hunting quickly so I do a lot of still hunting, and rattling/grunting a little as I move slowly/stop often.

I understand that. The land I now hunt isn’t really big enough for a stalk though. I used to hunt in the Chippewa National Forest and its an enormous piece of public land, but I would be skeptical about stalking through it, especially on opening weekend.

I believe that my best asset is my patience. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to sit there all day, every day if the conditions permit. When I was younger, I lacked patience. That changed over time. I see a fair amount of deer during midday now because other people get too impatient, left their spot, and kicked deer my direction. Its a waiting game for me, and if I leave, the deer wins.

I don’t archery or muzzle loader hunt either, so I can’t just “go next week” instead. The season is only 9 days long out of 365 days/year, so I try to take advantage of every minute I’m able to.

ThunderLund78

While he’s youth hunted a few times, this will be my 14 yr old’s first “adult deer camp” and I’m really looking forward to it. As much as I’m excited for him to be in his own stand (and it’s a really good one) there’s part of me that wants it to rain so he’ll sit in my sheltered blind with me. I’ll gladly watch him shoot.

Charles

Ehhh doesn’t take much to drop a deer with a 7mm lol. I prefer bow hunting, however I am getting bug again to start deer hunting.

BTW the hunters are Dumb poop to set up literal on the boarder of the property, at least give your self like a 1ft to be safe, some farmers fields that butt up against usually swing one way or the other way depending on how the crops are planted.

CaptainMusky

100 percent agree. I’m a open ground hunter, and have been very successful because of it. I can’t sit in a stand very long.

Right, watch the guys on The Hunting Public, much of their hunting is on the ground and with a bow no less. They just shot two nice bucks while on the ground. One with a bow at like 5 yards and the other with a muzzleloader. Those guys are entertaining and good at what they do, but man do they put in the work.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

While he’s youth hunted a few times, this will be my 14 yr old’s first “adult deer camp” and I’m really looking forward to it. As much as I’m excited for him to be in his own stand (and it’s a really good one) there’s part of me that wants it to rain so he’ll sit in my sheltered blind with me. I’ll gladly watch him shoot.

It’ll be raining where I hunt so the kid and I just went and set a new blind out to sit in, more so because I don’t know how waterproof my old orange gear is I gave him

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.