early teal/goose hunt

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Early teal hunt is Sept 2-6 and early goose hunt is Sept 2-17. These start a week from tomorrow. Right now there doesn’t appear to be any more heat domes with absurd heat indexes on the horizon. Who’s going?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not a goose hunter, but have family friends that hunt our fields right below the house. I’ll buy a license and walk out there in shorts and a T shirt to blast a few.

Last year I believe they limited every day they went on our property. It’s quite the goose highway with 90 acres of sweet corn relatively nearby (not hunting over it), and the river less than 2 miles away.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I usually get out for early goose, however the WMA we used to hunt is no longer taking care of a field we used and it is now super tall prairie grass/ weeds. So you can’t even see the decoys. So not sure if I will make it out this year, we are also fishing Labor day weekend this year instead. Good luck to those getting out there.

steelslinger71

We will definitely be doing the early teal hunt. The slough we usually hunt is pretty much bone dry but there are a couple of other options. Will do some serious scouting this week to pin something down.

dbright
    Cambridge

We don’t take it real serious but I sure do like seeing geese bounce.

brandyman
    West central MN

I have a field of harvested wheat right by the house. Have not seen or heard any geese since spring. We do have quite a few doves out there though. Thats about like teal hunting. Not much meat for the effort, but tasty.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I will be going out on Friday Sept 1st for Teal. Skip the weekend crowd and back out on Monday. Haven’t seen a lot of teal in my local area, but they are around.

john_h
    Hastings, MN

I will be going out on Friday Sept 1st for Teal. Skip the weekend crowd and back out on Monday. Haven’t seen a lot of teal in my local area, but they are around.[/

We have to wait until Saturday.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Update:

Probably had conservatively 400 geese fly over this morning while I was out cutting brush. There were even a dozen or so that landed right where our family friends will have their decoys a week from today in the nearest hay field.

isu22andy

Just curious how often do ya get asked by randoms to hunt it badger ? Always wondered that question when someone has a prime piece of real estate for hunting.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I will be going out on Friday Sept 1st for Teal.

It’s not open on Friday, Sept 1. Its open from Sept 2-6. Better not start on Friday, that would be poaching.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^ not that much, because there are probably 20 comparable properties nearby. Undeveloped ag land within a few miles of the river = prime goose hunting.

We will probably have one or two random vehicles pull in this year and ask. If it wasn’t for family friends loving it and letting me tag along as a passive goose hunter, I’d probably entertain letting another group hunt it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

It’s not open on Friday, Sept 1. Its open from Sept 2-6. Better not start on Friday, that would be poaching.

Oh I will indeed, be out and shooting on Friday the 1st, thru Saturday the 16th. I won’t be poaching, never have and don’t plan to start now.

Attachments:
    1. early-teal.jpg

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

There are more than just MN hunters here.
    DT

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There are more than just MN hunters here.
    DT

He knew I was referring to MN just like everyone else did. He could easily have said he was hunting in another state. But instead responds with a smartass reply.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

He knew I was referring to MN just like everyone else did. He could easily have said he was hunting in another state. But instead responds with a smartass reply.

You knew I was referring to Iowa just like everyone else did. YOU could have easily acknowledged that, rather than say I would be poaching.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m jealous that Iowa has 16 days for their teal season. MN gives us 5 days and it’s year 3 of the “experimental” early teal season in MN. I don’t see any way they don’t make it permanent since duck hunter numbers have been declining for years. They need the license $$. The forecasted highs are 86-91. Last year I hunted in shorts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You knew I was referring to Iowa just like everyone else did. YOU could have easily acknowledged that, rather than say I would be poaching.

I had no idea Iowa had an early teal season. Good luck with the hunt.

It’s looking quite warm next weekend now, as Netguy mentioned.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

He knew I was referring to MN just like everyone else did.

You knew I was referring to Iowa just like everyone else did.

I had no idea Iowa had an early teal season. Good luck with the hunt.

Your claim that I knew MN had an early season, also applies to my claim that you knew IA had an early season. Same logic
    No where in your original post did you inform anyone where you would be hunting. I followed your lead and also did not inform anyone where I would be hunting.

Yet you chose to inform me I would be poaching.

FinickyFish

Hoping my folks have some picked sweet corn next weekend and will probably attempt some early goose. Been a few years due to young children but might work out this year. Will be fishing this weekend so that’s a no go.

Hunting24seven

How’d everyone do? My Dad and I Made quick work of it once shooting started and got out of there asap. Too hot but couldn’t pass up a good shoot.

Attachments:
    1. EA5FA005-EB1F-4161-97F3-F9195187481C.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I heard a decent amount of shooting when I was fishing yesterday morning. I assume it was goose hunters on a nearby hayfield.

steelslinger71

Three of us shot 10 teal and a goose on Saturday. Was kind of disappointed because on Thursday there were a pile of teal on the slough we were hunting and Saturday only a fraction showed up. I not too sure that they didn’t go back north a ways to better water conditions from what I am hearing.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Pretty slow for the family friends we had out below the house. I think they shot maybe 7 or 8 geese. It’s been pretty standard to shoot a 5 or 6 person limit most outings in the past. The crazy heat definitely was a factor. The geese were in the sweet corn field earlier than usual and bailed right back to the river without being able to be slowed down.

JEREMY
    BP

Was surprised how many ducks we actually seen. Didnt see or hear one single goose which was odd.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.